Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bathroom leak disaster- wet room the culprit? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

Several days ago the plaster board of my living room ceiling collapsed, as a result of a leak in the bathroom above. There were water marks on the ceiling for months, but these were not getting worse and the ceiling showed no signs of being wet/cracking before collapsing. We're trying to narrow down the issue, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the bathroom we have a toilet, washhand basin and wet room. There have been a few issues over the 2 years we've been in the house with the wet room which makes us think this is where the leak is coming room. The water was never good at draining with the shower on, and would spill out of the wet room area or sit in the wet room until we pushed it down the drain. There is also significant effervescence on the wet room tiles (though this could be unrelated!).

I think (!) from the photo below, it looks like the wet room is tanked. Could it be that water was somehow escaping below the tanked section? It seems particularly wet and mouldy where the wet room connects to the rest of the bathroom. Does this mean the water could be leaking through the tiles in the non wet room section?

IMG_20210221_170229.jpg

IMG_20210221_170301.jpg

Any advice or ideas would be a great help 😊

Lisa

Reply to Bathroom leak disaster- wet room the culprit? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock