Discuss Base and waterproofing for vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

A

Ann76

I'm planning a new bathroom in a property that I intend to rent out. The floor is standard wooden boards. I plan to put 15-18mm plywood on top and then lay self-adhesive vinyl tiles. The question is will these tiles create a real waterproof barrier? I guess the moisture will easily penetrate in between them? Do I need to waterproof the ply underneath to make sure it will last? If yes, what sort of product should I use for this? Any other tips or advice?
Thanks in advance!

G

Gazzer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vinyl tiles will not be of any use if waterproofing is wanted. You need Altro vinyl with welded seams.

D

DHTiling

Hi..
l
So it will only be a bathroom and not a wet room area..?

A

Ann76

Yes, it's just a bathroom, not a wetroom. But since it wil be a rental property and water spillages are very likely I prefer to make sure that the floor is waterproof. I don't want tenants to ruin the floor under the vinyl tiles so I'm a bit worried.

By the way, I've got another question about the walls. They are concrete (unconventional, I know), they are now covered with two layers of tiles. When I remove these tiles, I guess the plaster will be ruined. I'll need to make them even and suitable for tiling and I planned to use hardibacker boards. But how do I attach them to the wall? Screws and nails won't go into concrete. Do I need to drill hundred of holes and use wall plugs or do I just glue them?

D

DHTiling

I would just get them re-skimmed.. and then tank any area's you think will be supsect to water damage..including the floor and then vinyl tiles over the tanking using a water resistant glue...

whitebeam

whitebeam

Supporter
Arms
Reactions
2,787 3
You may find that your'll have to use pva before skimming on old concrete or plaster

Reply to Base and waterproofing for vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.