Discuss Bad tiling job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

woodsy5

TF
Reaction score
Hi
IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
IMG_2283.jpg

Can I get some advise on whether this tiling is a bad job. If its not up to scratch can it be saved or does it need replacing?
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2298.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

There is a phrase about seeing a job half done!
I’am not sure if you couldn’t have got some closer pictures to accentuate the issues you are suggesting as ungrouted tiling will always be subjected to scrutiny regarding tile shape or edges of tiles.
I can see a bit of trim work that may have a wide joint or thin for tile thickness but if it’s 30+ mts of work you may be being overly critical at this stage.
As a Tiler of 45 years experience and having posted a similar thread earlier in the week I’am on the contractors side on this one.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It looks to be a little sloppy in places, but it’s certainly not terrible.
It looks like the trim needs to be replaced with a bigger one and the cuts redoing into it, but as your pictures are so close it’s hard to tell.
And the same with the cuts round the architrave are a bit shy, but there would need to be 3mm or so anyway.

Who was responsible for the prep?

What kind of response are you hoping to get?

Speak to your tiler and highlight your issues, I’m sure they can be remedied easily. :)

W

WetSaw

Unless you're having a contrasting grout I would think that it will be perfectly acceptable once it's grouted and siliconed.
The gap by the architrave looks a little large but close up photos always exaggerate things.

finlay

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would speak to your tiler telling him your concerns it’s always easier replacing tiles before there grouted, personally I think it’s a bit shoddy in some of the photos but not a disaster once grouted it might look a lot better pictures a bit further away would give us a better idea .

woodsy5

TF
Reaction score
It looks to be a little sloppy in places, but it’s certainly not terrible.
It looks like the trim needs to be replaced with a bigger one and the cuts redoing into it, but as your pictures are so close it’s hard to tell.
And the same with the cuts round the architrave are a bit shy, but there would need to be 3mm or so anyway.

Who was responsible for the prep?

What kind of response are you hoping to get?

Speak to your tiler and highlight your issues, I’m sure they can be remedied easily. :)

The prep was done by a builder and the boards are new aquapanel boards. I’m hoping he will rectify it as we want our ensuite back. But we don’t want to put up with shoddy work.

We originally had a strip on feature wall but we had to settle for a full feature wall as he put up the splitface tiles first not realising they are thinner than the other tiles
Is it the same guy that did the other bathroom .
What other bathroom? I’ve only had this en-suite done

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is it the same guy that did the other bathroom .

I think it’s a reflection in a mirror. ;)

The best thing to do is speak to your tiler and highlight the issues you have, see what he is willing to do to rectify said issues.

There are a few areas that could be better, and they could certainly be sorted easily. :)

Last edited:

woodsy5

TF
Reaction score
I’ve took some not so close up pictures. I am certainly unhappy with the 10mil trim on 10.3mm tiles. Also can I ask, am I being to picky that some tiles don’t line up or is this acceptable?
8014CC10-7B56-49A4-9D82-1F019F932491.jpeg
42DAFC81-78CF-4834-B914-F64E3D0D9D09.jpeg
F78EC774-F40B-462B-8F68-706E040AB8B0.jpeg
C7926598-0782-4528-9543-48A35AA0CD90.jpeg
8F24FD84-588A-4B7D-8901-2A80717322B9.jpeg

J

Just Rizzle

if your paying fillet stake price for your fitting its a bit on the beef burger side .
BUT if your paying beef burger price and your expecting a fillet steak youve got what you paid for.

Reaction score
Rectified tiles, the walls need to be perfect. Rectified ceramics are a pain in the backside, especially soft ceramics if that’s what they are.
Some of the close ups are ridiculously zoomed in but I absolutely agree that there is cause for concern here. Unfortunately for every 5hit hot Tiler there are probably five times as many not so good. The top notch Tilers are considerably more expensive than the average or poor Tilers, not because they are creaming off bigger profits but because the job is taking them longer.
As with all poor tiling jobs, there’s no such thing as rectificying anything. Needs a full rip out.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did they tank the wet areas?

W

WetSaw

The tiles look a bit "sizey" . Top joint aligned and the bottom a couple of mm out, with that in mind and the tiler maybe did the best with what he's got to work with. Looking at the pictures above, I'd be more concerned about the gap to the ceiling. 20190809_184231.jpg

woodsy5

TF
Reaction score
Did they tank the wet areas?
The builder didn’t as I said I would pay the tiler extra to do it but the tiler said it wasn’t needed as it’s aquapannel boards. I even bought knauf scrim and joint adhesive for him to use but he didn’t touch it after asking him to.

Reply to Bad tiling job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks