Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Backer Board Installation Advice with a Raised Shower Tray Former in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
All,

I am looking for some advice.

When I updated my bathroom eight or so years ago I used Hardie Backer boards on the wall all the way down to the floor. I then built a raised wooden structure and installed a stone resin shower tray on top. I filled the small gap where the tray met the hardie back board wall with silicon, then installed homelux matting, overlapping onto the shower tray, tiled with travertine and then sealed with silicon. It has proved to be fully water tight.

I am now currently in the process of renovating my girlfriend's bathroom.
I will be installing a shower tray former on a raised platform and tile over this former. My question is around the type of backer board to use for the walls. I could use a similar method as before; using hardie backer board and homelux matting. However, the alternative XPF boards such as Jacko, marmox, etc... are now more cost effective and offer waterproofing also. I am a little confused though at what approach you would use when a raised shower tray former is used. If I installed the XPF to the floor and then installed a raised structure with former on top then how would I robustly seal the former to the wall? The waterproof part of the boards are under the top cementitious layer. Surely water would soak into the top layer and travel down past any silicon or waterproofing tape. Is it better to install the shower former to the existing wall first and then install the backer boards on to the wall so they sit on the top of the former. Therefore, any water would run down on the the former.

Any advice would be greatly received!

Many thanks,

Daz

W

Waluigi

Excellent question, Daz. I have thought about this before and it definitely shows a slight weakness in the concept of cement faced foam Tile Backer boards although I think the risk is minimal.

Even if you were to apply some tanking membrane say a foot up from your tray and overlap your tray, moisture could still potentially get below the tray via the cement face. Very unlikely IMO.

As I said- every system has a weakness. Almost all. The Homelux system you mentioned has a weakness at the joints and overlaps as Homelux recommend a tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ for the joints which is porous.

If you want a fail safe board to use in your shower then I believe there is only one without a weakness and that’s Schlüter Kerdi Board.

That said, I wouldn’t hesitate using an XPS board when creating a shower with tray and simply applying a bead of silicone between the tray and the board as I find this acceptable. That’s just me though. I also wouldn’t hesitate using tanked plasterboard.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice thus far.

Just to throw some more factors into the mix... The walls are either back to brick or block. Brick wall is fairly level but not fully plumb but the block work is fairly uneven. Any advice on which backer boards would be good for a masonry wall? Again there seems to be lots of options and lots of different methods for fixing; from using stick adhesives, dot and dab, mechanical. Obviously I would follow the Manufacturer's Instructions for the type of board I use but ideally looking for any recommendations based on experience of use. My concern is ensuring whichever board I use can be installed level and it will take the weight of the tiles (Porcelain tiles will be used).

Thanks!

Daz

Reply to Backer Board Installation Advice with a Raised Shower Tray Former in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock