Discuss backer board advice for my bathroom in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Goatz

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a novice DIYer looking into options for backer board.
I have ripped out my existing bathroom. This consisted of a bathtub with ceramic tiles. The property is a purpose built flat built roughly 16 years ago. It appears that the tiles were put on green plasterboard. Underneath the plasterboard are metal studs 400mm apart.
I want to put in a new tub and tile above it. Most likely porcelain tiles, and with a quite weighty bath screen.
I've been looking at Marmox multiboard 12.5mm but I noticed that if the studs are over 300mm apart i need to use 20mm, but this will stick out when I transition back to plasterboard (outside of the bath area). It also says that 'all board edges need to be supported'. My metal studs do not have noggins so the top and bottom edges would not be supported.
Am I limited to cement board (aquapanel) in this case? would the cement board alternatives be able to support the bath screen?Wediboard seems very expensive, perhaps jackoboard? or perhaps the STS board from Wickes?

Thanks
Lee

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Why not use moisture resistant plasterboard again and tank the wet areas. It will hold 32kg per m2. Fix a timber from floor to ceiling where the shower screen will go to give yourself a good fixing.

Goatz

TF
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the message.
I am using marmox boards for ease of use and as they are waterproof. It was reading messages on this forum that convinced me :)
Marmox state that the loading capacity is 100kg per m2 but it is hard to beleive as these boards are so light!
Thanks for the tip with the timber stud for the bath screen. I think the screen will be going in exactly there a metal stud is. I might try and re-inforce it with some ply.

Reaction score
6mm tanked hardie backer board will support 100kg per m2 if I remember correctly. Do yourself a favour and avoid waterproof timber/plasterboard, it’s not suitable for professional tiling, end of

Reply to backer board advice for my bathroom in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks