• Thread starter shano
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 5K

Discuss Australia in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bugs183

I thought Australia was a bit duff if i'm honest, how many times do you need to hear 'whinging pom', you can't beat Europe.
And no where has pubs like the UK!

G

Gazzer

I thought Australia was a bit duff if i'm honest, how many times do you need to hear 'whinging pom', you can't beat Europe.
And no where has pubs like the UK!

I will disagree with you there, I loved the place and wanted as my home. Sadly is was not meant to be.

B

bugs183

Well thats what make people interesting, everyone is different!
There's no arguing with the standard of living there thats for sure, they have a much better work ethic, i think i'm the only person in the world who didn't think much of Melbourne! My mate adores the place, he married into a rich family and likes playing golf. So perfect for him.
I just prefer the diversity and depth of Europe, and as much as i has it's faults Britain is a wonderful place, so much going on in such a small place.

G

Gazzer

I love/loved Melbourne it was exactly what I wanted, friendly people, nice weather, nice roads, great lifestyle , snow on the mountains 1 hours drive away on Mnt Buller or on the beach in 30 minutes. Wide open spaces and the smell of eucalyptus most of the time.

Its each to their own. I always thought before I visited Australia that I was English through and through and like you thought there was no better place.
http://www.tilersforums.com/australia/25914-thinking-emmigration-sad-story.html

B

bugs183

Oh no, thats a real tough read, you obviously loved the place, and to feel that much at home and not be able to live there is a killer.
I'm in the same situation myself (to a lesser degree), i live in Kidderminster, which has some wonderful countryside etc, but i have a cottage in Snowdonia that i built myself. I've been going there for years, i have a huge amount of great friends, that are on my wavelength and actually do stuff in the evenings, climbing, go to the beach or just pop round each others houses, i love it.
I bought and rebuilt it just at the start of the recession, and i had lots of work in Wales especially on Angelesey. I'd cross the Menai Straits in the morning and work on the island with the backdrop of Snowdonia in front of me, then maybe after drive to Holyhead and climb on the sea cliffs there.
But the recession hit and the house cost loads more to build, so i'm back in Kiddy, i can't moan as i have lots of work here, and some back in Wales, but not enough to keep that dreaded cash flow going, but i don't half miss being there.
Ah well thats life's rich tapestry!!!!

G

Gazzer

Had a few Pints in The Lock and Queens Head and I know your name through contacts in Widerange Tiles and my Dads tiling contacts.

B

bugs183

Oh no, i've got a stalker!!!
Intriguing! I don't tend to go into Wolverley too often, but i make sure i pass The Anchor in Caunsall at dinnertime, their cobs are the biz!
They're good lads up at Wide Range, but my area of work is Kiddy and down into Herefordshire, then across into Shropshire, so i very rarely head their way, so i tend to use Tile Trend, for Mapei if i need it quick, and Cravens Dunnill are my main tile and adhesive shop.
Things seem to ticking along nicely, seems to be enough work at the mo, dunno how you're finding it.
Do you know George Alans lads then??

G

Gazzer

Lol yeah one of Georges lads is on a site i am working on in Gloucester. I dont know him personally but know of him.

Its up and down at the moment but getting by.

B

bugs183

They're a real funny crew, they helped out on this huge health Spa, must have been '98, porcelain everywhere, impossible to cut, horrible job!!!! I bet they haven't forgotten that one.
George has probably retired now, tell them i said hello!!!
Yea it's odd for everyone, my phone isn't busy,but i've got so many leads everywhere that it looks like i'm catching it all up, and off it goes again.
Looks like i've got a run of big floors, i love those, much prefer them to walls.

G

Gazzer

Yeah I think the old man has hung his trowel up and not sure why there was only one of his sons on site ?? He may be back on site tomorrow if I get time I will ask but I tend to work not talk...unlike someone else I know .

Reply to Australia in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks