Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Ardex Training Day in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Wesley

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I recently attended a large format tile training day run by Ardex, at their Haverhill trading centre. The day was very well organised and run by Andrea King & Vince Ruffini of Ardex, with support from Rubi - rail and cutting system. It was also a good opportunity to see and try some of the alternative products that Ardex supply.
I, like a few others I suspect, have shied away from large format jobs due to extra expense, 2-3 man job to handle, tools to cut and fit these large tiles, plus potential to snap / break these large, expensive pieces.
Like most things in this trade, practice relieved some of the nervousness around tackling large tile fitting. I would still be apprehensive about cutting socket and switch holes into a large sheet, but the day did show that it’s nothing to really fear....just make sure you add in enough in your estimate to potentially replace a snapped tile or two 😜!!.
So, overall, a great learning day, well run by Ardex and Rubi, with some good surprises around products. Thanks to everyone who helped out on this training day and to the other attendees who were all willing to participate and offer help & advice. (The lunch and drinks were very good and plenty of it !)
Q : Why do fixers generally avoid these free training days ?, are you scared of losing a days money ?!!. The amount of freebies you walk away with at the end of these days should more than cover your costs.

D

Dumbo

To be honest im mr cynical ,
So free training days great , freebies paying for loss of earnings i doubt it .
Ie were you given 10 bags of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to sell on to your next customer . Would you care to expand how your loss of earnings were covered

J

J Sid

20 bags I think 😁
[automerge]1582030521[/automerge]
I don't think you can ever look at these days as lose of earnings. If the course is good and you learn something, even if it's not to use that cutter or this https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, then it's been a good day.

OP
W

Wesley

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To be honest im mr cynical ,
So free training days great , freebies paying for loss of earnings i doubt it .
Ie were you given 10 bags of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to sell on to your next customer . Would you care to expand how your loss of earnings were covered
Wow....really !!. Like Julian said, it’s not all about the loss of earnings. I went to learn something new, that hopefully will be useful to me in the future and allow me to earn a bit more when the situation arises.
I did come away with some https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout to complete a medium size kitchen floor job, buts that’s not what I went for !. I learnt something new, tried my hand with some equipment I hadn’t used before, tried some products that were new to me and made some new, helpful contacts.
A successful day, in my book, and it didn’t cost me anything - surely that’s a win - win. ?

D

Dumbo

Wow....really !!. Like Julian said, it’s not all about the loss of earnings. I went to learn something new, that hopefully will be useful to me in the future and allow me to earn a bit more when the situation arises.
I did come away with some https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout to complete a medium size kitchen floor job, buts that’s not what I went for !. I learnt something new, tried my hand with some equipment I hadn’t used before, tried some products that were new to me and made some new, helpful contacts.
A successful day, in my book, and it didn’t cost me anything - surely that’s a win - win. ?
If you read my response i didnt criticise the training i was just curious as to your claim that you came away with enough freebies to more than cover your costs

T

Time's Ran Out

You can’t put a value on learning!
If I was 30 years younger I’d go on every course available if it’s the only way of gaining experience. The lack of apprenticeships available and some of the poor standard tile being done means there is going to be a shortage of quality tradespersons in tile.
I think it’s great that Ardex have provided this facility and that we are taking advantage - also nice to get feedback.

Reply to Ardex Training Day in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock