Discuss Anyone used Nicobond Plastic Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Fred

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Plastic Ply as advertised in the recent TileUK magazine. Also anyone have any idea on price because it looks the business if it does what it says on the tin LOL

Highlander

No, I have not even heard of it....................must have a look

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well how is that supposed to work if the floorboards are a wee bit iffy............but not iffy enough to rip out......but still needing overboarding.

Can't see that stiffening the floor much :whatchutalkingabout

G

Grace'sDad

Sounds like a Ditra copy-cat affair to me. Don't see how it can do anything other than isolate the tiles from the lateral movement of the timber floor.
I can't imagine how it firms up the floor as well as 15mm ply screwed down correctly would.

D

DB-Tiling

at the leeds branch they have a pallet that has been tiled on with this stuff.
i jumped up and down on it and the tiles stayed on:whatchutalkingabout flexed like hell though.
they were not grouted, but i bet the grout would have cracked if it was.
so i dont think i will bother.
and read the small print that comes with it. loads of get outs.

S

Spud

eml mesh replacement? whats the price of this plastic gimmick rubbish ? if you advertised camel dung droppings as an additve for adhesive then you can guarantee some mug would buy it and declare its s*** hot! lol

smoke and mirrors

wayne

TF
Reaction score
i think it retails at £20 for 1.2 sqm or something like that. saw the pallett as well but it wont strengthen anything. its just 2mm thick plastic with sticky tape to fasten it to floor

S

Spud

when i first started tiling we used eml mesh stapled to wooden floors we would back spread the mesh then tile as normal we always used ardion 90 or rona fix mixed into the adhesive never had a failure like this. eml mesh works out about £3.88 per sheet a fifth of the price of this plastic rubbish

W

wetdec

I think on the face of it then it looks a little unbelievable but and its a big but like everything else new it has to begin some where,

The pallet issue is interesting in that every other slat there is a 3inch gap but tiles didnt come off so the bonding strength of the self adhesive plastic ply is obviously really good.

As Ditra isnt a strengthening mat and needs underlayment then there is no comparison to be made on that score but if anything fails on plastic ply under lateral movement it will be the self sticky adhesive as thats the main anchor so it will uncouple

Ems is a good one as ems worked but ems wasnt 60 x 50 in size, self adhesive, simple to use and you couldnt cut it with a scissors.

The one not mentioned is backer boards and ply, it apears to me that this is where the comparison needs making as they are all marketed and produced to do the same job by reputable companies except plastic ply is only 2.5mm thick, uses less adhesive and no fixings.

The small print says this :

Existing wood floors must be rigid, stable and capable of supporting additional load without flexing and have sufficient ventilation beneath them. Any loose boards should be secured prior to applying N&C Plastic Ply. If there is axcessive flexing or movement within the floor the addition of extra noggins may be required

Retail price is around £16 per m2

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Its the name Plastic PLY that throws peeps off....it's all in the name,, if it doesn't strengthen like ply then why give is the said name....if it is an uncoupling system then say so and not say PLY....:grin:

W

wetdec

Ye with you, its a bit of a mixture in what they have said and not said and ye the name is sh*t thats why we have been having a closer look at it to be sure it can do what we say it will do.

An N&C timber floor test area prooved its ability by taking thousands of foot steps over a 3 or 4 month period. While N&C arnt the best known company they are solid without a doubt and know what they are about.

tiler

M

mac1968

I’ve seen comments from some of you guys on here re this new product, I thought like you, can’t work so popped to my local showroom in chadwell heath.
Like the leeds supporter (no comment!) I saw the tiled pallet in the shop, yeah no grout. Stuff looks wicked, how can you tile over gaps in a pallet? don’t make sense to me. I had a small floor to tile for the family so tried it on that as no come backs and I must say was brilliant, so easy to lay, no ****ing about with cutting plywood etc, screwing down, just peel and stick, so simple even me a west ham supporter managed it!! (Anyone want a loan from my bank in Iceland!!)

Since that first trial I’ve done two more bathrooms and the customers have been as chuffed as I have. I’ve seen prices knocked about, just so you know I paid £8.49m² so good value I thought considering how easy it was.

My tip would be give it a try on one floor, what have you got to lose.

Up the 'ammers!!

D

DEtileD

Hmm,.....but it isn't plastic ply though..? Maybe I should invent a product called 'fully tiled floor' and when you open the box its a grout float. Useful, but not what its claiming to be.

Reply to Anyone used Nicobond Plastic Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks