Discuss Anyone Got A Solution To This Problem? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gooty

whilst doing the sums for laying my tiles, i made a slight mistake.

basically, one line of tiles that run beneath the lower face of the window bottom are approx 1mm too low. the metal window edging that i want to use kind of rocks like a seesaw on the render/metal beading beneath.

all i can think of doing is either:

a) use a grout line to make up the difference between tile and trim before laying the inside window tiles :(

b) cut the part of the trim that goes underneath the inside window tiles so that the trim can sit lower, but i guess it will become loose over time :(

c) hammer/chisel out the new render/metal beading so that its low enough to make up the difference with the tiles/trim :(

Can anyone think of a better idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ExplodingPudding

Either redo the window cuts if possible or turn it into a grout line. Alternatively, you could apply a small bead of silicone (in the grout colour) if the area is hidden from view. However the first two options are preferable in my opinion :)

J

Just Rizzle

I lke to have a 2 mm joint between tile and trim that way you canget the grout between the tile and trim .
if you leave no gap you get no seal

M

MW Smith Ceramics

whilst doing the sums for laying my tiles, i made a slight mistake.

basically, one line of tiles that run beneath the lower face of the window bottom are approx 1mm too low. the metal window edging that i want to use kind of rocks like a seesaw on the render/metal beading beneath.

all i can think of doing is either:

a) use a grout line to make up the difference between tile and trim before laying the inside window tiles :(

b) cut the part of the trim that goes underneath the inside window tiles so that the trim can sit lower, but i guess it will become loose over time :(

c) hammer/chisel out the new render/metal beading so that its low enough to make up the difference with the tiles/trim :(

Can anyone think of a better idea?

When I'm tiling round a window I'll always take the tile just past the reveals usually to any high spots then rule off with rapid set adhesive to make perfect especially if using metal trim.......sounds to me like you haven't come to the highest spot of the the window sill and then ruled off the rest of the sill, if the trim rocking then that's not good mate, if it is a 1mm gap all the way along then no problem just grout it in in.......:thumbsup:

Reply to Anyone Got A Solution To This Problem? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks