Discuss any posts explaining tiling lingo or does anyone know of a website? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

leec

anyone help me there folks im reading a lot of posts to get a better understanding of tiling im getting there albeit slowly, was wondering are there any lingo websites out there for tiling or anything within this website just so i can have a better understanding of what you lot are going on about!!:smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

from Oli's Bible

icon1.png
Re: All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

One minor thing I took a while to get to grips with was the abbreviations we use, these are the ones I could think of from the top of my head....

SLC - Self levelling compound
PTB - Pourable thick bed
SPF - Single part flexible
2PF - 2 Part flexible
UHF - Under floor heating
WBP - Weather and boil proof ply (also reffered to as exterior grade)
SBR - (eg Bal Bond SBR), A priming and bonding agent)
I cant think of any more of the top of my head at the moment,​

L

leec

just things like screeds, tanking, now i may sound dense which sometimes i am but when peeps talk about joists they are mentioning the supports under the floor boards?? :confused_smile:

L

leec

ok ta doug makes a bit more sense! i do sometimes wish i learnt a trade at college oh where i'd be now!!, im hoping i have the right adhesive for my no more ply i have rapid set flexible?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

No such thing as a stupid question. Joists are the supports under the floor.

I think the best thing you can do is to search the forum, do a search for whatever your not sure about and you should come up with an answer. :thumbsup:

R

Rich

Thats the right stuff. Just be sure that the boards are fitted correctly. Are you fitting them yourself or are you just tiling over them?

L

leec

yep the fllor boards are pretty sound apart from the one i removed it had to go as it was next to the entrance, its screwed down but i think ill remove the screws and nail it, the other one is half under the toilet ive tried pulling it out but no go and am no way good enough to remove a toilet, so ive nailed it down its about 2 or 3mm or so below the rest of the fllor boards but it isnt in a much walked on part of the bathroom if you get me drift, if i have to though can i use wood filler or something similar to bring it flush with the rest of the flooring. ok thanks dylante i also have bal superflex grout. just one more question i have 4mm tile spacers now do i lay them flush with the tiles to create the 4mm gap or do i as ive seen in some peeps pics on this site stand them up?. thanks!!

L

leec

another question im afraid, whats best to use at the edges of the tile for the entry i have some tile trim but around the wall edge is it best to use a sealant??

W

White Room

Any boards screw down if you can, I stand the spacers up so they can be removed when adhesive is set

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Don't use any type of wood filler, or any filler for that matter, make up the difference with your adhesive, spacers can be stood up to re-use, but if your not that experienced yet I would suggest fixing them properly so that you get the spacing right between tiles, they'll need to be recessed below the top of the tile, by at least half, try and keep them all the same depth as the tile edges can vary and different depth of spacers can cause different size grout joints.

L

leec

ok alan thanks, the area i wrote about next to the toilet is probably no bigger than 4 or 5 cm2, but ok no wood filler to be used

Reply to any posts explaining tiling lingo or does anyone know of a website? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks