Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Another tiling job gone wrong. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

roadking

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
He may well have used the proper https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ but just mixed it in a ready mix bucket 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
I like to think I listen to opinions that attempt to deconstruct my argument in the case (sometimes very likely) that I am wrong. In this case, have you not seen the trim? There is bare metal showing from the cut and they don't line up. Plus the tiles are not flush with them. Maybe my points are petty, and i did debate on wether i should pay for what was good. Problem is they went straight to court and have refused to mediate. Which is not cool beans with the consumer act. How can you say i should pay the full amount when they have used the wrong https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and preparation for the floor. Maybe a bad comparison, but its like a nurse administering the wrong meds or a mechanic putting the wrong oil in a car. I don't want a tile falling on my head in a few years time.
I didn't say pay in full. But you have to appreciate everyone's got to eat, but saying that if they choose to go court before attempting to rectify the issues then I'd have to say in all honesty it's not the best way to come to a fair resolution for both parties. It's hard to say about tile as I don't know what they faced
[automerge]1605285857[/automerge]
Mate maybe you burnt their heads out with the numbered snags. 70 odd in Sharpie... Lol poor c-#ts, they're probably just staring into space drooling after tile your bathroom, mate there's nothing worse than some ____ writing all over your tiles before you've finished. You know, now and then I leave a tile in I know I'll have to change coz I don't want the rest slipping. Mate have a good heart and pay them some dough. Hold £250 back for pipes, you won't win in court as you didn't specify in writing you want mitred trim etc, fairs fair pal. It ain't my opinion or yours, it's a universal fact. Pay them some money regardless of court. They have bills too and kids to feed
[automerge]1605286061[/automerge]
You seem a cool guy and I guess you feel it ain't right to give them nothing. A court will recognise your fairness if you pay and hold a retention and give them 7 days to rectify or you'll do so at their expense. All the best ✌🏻

Last edited:
OP
Kilo

Kilo

-
Reaction score
I didn't say pay in full. But you have to appreciate everyone's got to eat, but saying that if they choose to go court before attempting to rectify the issues then I'd have to say in all honesty it's not the best way to come to a fair resolution for both parties. It's hard to say about tile as I don't know what they faced
[automerge]1605285857[/automerge]
Mate maybe you burnt their heads out with the numbered snags. 70 odd in Sharpie... Lol poor c-#ts, they're probably just staring into space drooling after tile your bathroom, mate there's nothing worse than some ____ writing all over your tiles before you've finished. You know, now and then I leave a tile in I know I'll have to change coz I don't want the rest slipping. Mate have a good heart and pay them some dough. Hold £250 back for pipes, you won't win in court as you didn't specify in writing you want mitred trim etc, fairs fair pal. It ain't my opinion or yours, it's a universal fact. Pay them some money regardless of court. They have bills too and kids to feed
[automerge]1605286061[/automerge]
You seem a cool guy and I guess you feel it ain't right to give them nothing. A court will recognise your fairness if you pay and hold a retention and give them 7 days to rectify or you'll do so at their expense. All the best ✌🏻
You kept saying snags m8. Snags are what I had when I moved in. I had about 70 of them around the whole property. I'm sure you know, but a snag means a minor defect that can be rectified. A dodgy tile stuck to a piece of plasterboard is not a snag and 80 plus pics of tiles that are stuck to the wall and cannot be snagged are what I had to compile for a defense after the 'tiler' decided to leave after i pointed out that their right angle cuts were wrong. I didn't want to waste my time, but I didn't realise how many wonky and badly cut tiles there were until after. Because, guess what I'm not a tiler and I put my confidence in them to do it right. BTW they are my tiles, as I payed for them. I don't appreciate people f%&*()ng them and then demanding an invoice on the same day. BTW I have a six month year old and I need to pay the bill to have another tiler to take off the tiles, put new walls up and do the job right. The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was written as part of the quote as was the BAL uncoupling mat which have both been confirmed by the manufacturers as not right for the job. All the best to you too.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I feel you do have some fair points but some are a little ott, i think you should have let them finish first and grout. (did they ask for payment before they finished?) The pipe cuts are bad but around the door ect once grouted should look fine, even if it needs a thin silicone bead, think most mitre trims these days as looks better but what they did is not wrong, im sure if you talk calmly with them you can get it sorted, you want your bathroom done and they want to get paid, its worth a try...

OP
Kilo

Kilo

-
Reaction score
I feel you do have some fair points but some are a little ott, i think you should have let them finish first and grout. (did they ask for payment before they finished?) The pipe cuts are bad but around the door ect once grouted should look fine, even if it needs a thin silicone bead, think most mitre trims these days as looks better but what they did is not wrong, im sure if you talk calmly with them you can get it sorted, you want your bathroom done and they want to get paid, its worth a try...
Thanks BSC. What points do you think I have over boarded on? I get that the edges can be grouted and siliconed, it just feels like the problems are being covered up. Re the mitre I did ask the dude before hand if he neeeded the round trim, quadrants etc. I said id like the trim cut at an angle. He said fine. He asked for payment on the same day that he left. I hadn't made any complaints until a couple of days before when I started to see areas which were not right to me. I punched them a text stating I would have a formal response to their invoice the next day. I emailed them some of the concerns. Since then they said that their work is 'up to British Standards' and that they would take legal action, despite my asking them to come back on two occasions via email and one via a signed for letter.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
In my opinion mate -

The tiles at the edge of the door frame are irrelevant as there should be a neat silicone bead run down there anyway, so they'd end up looking good and you wouldn't see the 1 or 2mm variance down those edges.

Pipe cuts are rough, so should be re-done and the chipped tile is unfortunate and should be replaced.

The rough cut within the window niche is a little rough and should have been rubbed down smooth but other than that it looks like a reasonable and acceptable job to me on the face of it.

However - T and G floor should have been over boarded with cement boards.

IF tubbed https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has been used, the whole lot should be ripped out and replaced, but you'd need to know that first. So it's a tough one really and perhaps because of finding about the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and floor problems, that's why you've looked so far into the rest of the jobs and ended up picking holes in it.

Shame he's taken it straight to court. Seems like a rather silly and unprofessional approach to me.

Be interested to see what happens with this one.

OP
Kilo

Kilo

-
Reaction score
In my opinion mate -

The tiles at the edge of the door frame are irrelevant as there should be a neat silicone bead run down there anyway, so they'd end up looking good and you wouldn't see the 1 or 2mm variance down those edges.

Pipe cuts are rough, so should be re-done and the chipped tile is unfortunate and should be replaced.

The rough cut within the window niche is a little rough and should have been rubbed down smooth but other than that it looks like a reasonable and acceptable job to me on the face of it.

However - T and G floor should have been over boarded with cement boards.

IF tubbed https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has been used, the whole lot should be ripped out and replaced, but you'd need to know that first. So it's a tough one really and perhaps because of finding about the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and floor problems, that's why you've looked so far into the rest of the jobs and ended up picking holes in it.

Shame he's taken it straight to court. Seems like a rather silly and unprofessional approach to me.

Be interested to see what happens with this one.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I won't submit more photos to illustrate the cuts and grout lines unless there are requests! I think the main point now is something I ironically would not have picked up had the trader tried to negotiate or mediate and that is the addy and mat used. I have a quote for the materials for both floor and walls which takes me to the rocatex and BAL website for the specs if i copy and paste into google. Consequently, although not tile related, the copper pipe that leads from basin was fitted by the tiler and is 10mm. Its feeding a mixer shower and from reading the specs on that, it needs to be a minimum of 15.

I really would have preferred it to go the other way. But I am obligated to respond to the claim. I will be getting an NHBC inspector in and they will independently spec if the job is certifiable from a new build perspective and submit their report to the court. If he states that the work is sound then who am I to argue.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks BSC. What points do you think I have over boarded on? I get that the edges can be grouted and siliconed, it just feels like the problems are being covered up. Re the mitre I did ask the dude before hand if he neeeded the round trim, quadrants etc. I said id like the trim cut at an angle. He said fine. He asked for payment on the same day that he left. I hadn't made any complaints until a couple of days before when I started to see areas which were not right to me. I punched them a text stating I would have a formal response to their invoice the next day. I emailed them some of the concerns. Since then they said that their work is 'up to British Standards' and that they would take legal action, despite my asking them to come back on two occasions via email and one via a signed for letter.
As i said round the door etc is not an issue but the pipes do need sorting, the square edge
trims can be mitred. Did they grout it all?

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well that wont look good on them in court, i think with the photos you have you should be ok, cant see anyone saying this is a good job. these guys are not tilers so it may be a case of moving on and starting again and you will then be able to see what addey was used.
Get someone to recommend a tiler and ask them lots of questions and get references of other work they have done. Let us know how you get on..

OP
Kilo

Kilo

-
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone interested. I have taken the tiles off myself and the plumbing is now rectified (before and after pictures attached.) The external wall was dot and dab which was a chore to take off boards from. I did take a few pictures of areas of concern during removal of the tiles. Nothing too major, but my main concern was the tiles in shower compartment. The tiler had screwed gyroproc onto the plasterboard directly, which I understand is OK with regs. However, they screwed into the joint between the two boards, which is why I could just pull the tiles and board straight off the wall. Not good, when one of these tiles weighs about 4 kg. There are also areas where it looks like the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was applied over the 3mm limit for premixed https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and hadn't appeared to set in places. I have plasterboard measured and ready to fit and will update after final decision with court and new tiles are on.

Attachments

• 20210309_123946.jpg
    20210309_123946.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210309_123953.jpg
    20210309_123953.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210309_124147.jpg
    20210309_124147.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210312_105203.jpg
    20210312_105203.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210312_150808.jpg
    20210312_150808.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210315_170101.jpg
    20210315_170101.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210316_115358.jpg
    20210316_115358.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210317_103940.jpg
    20210317_103940.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210317_104023.jpg
    20210317_104023.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210404_103829.jpg
    20210404_103829.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 23

Reply to Another tiling job gone wrong. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock