Discuss Amtico or Ceramic, stone etc???? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

loopyloo

I had found a lovely spacia contour amtico floor (earthern) but my builder asked me to tread on the sample wearing a stiletto heel, it left an indentation, which kind of went away (mostly).:yikes:
He has never fitted this type of floor and it left me doubtful that it would be suitable in my kitchen, as I want to have a couple of small stools for family to perch on (or me!). He suggested ceramic - I wanted a natural looking, textured, matt, not glossy finish, which is why the earthern fitted the bill. :drool5: Any comments would be welcome. I have south facing kitchen which is mostly warm, so no underfloor heating required. I have been told a ceramic floor will only crack/damage if something like a microwave is dropped on it.

Many thanks

D

david campbell

ceramic tiles tendto be less hard-wearing for an area like a kitchen,they also tend to fade and as you say can be prone to damage if it's a well used area, i would prefer no less than porcelain for a well used kitchen,some natural stones can also be damaged with high heels,such as travertine and limestone

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
porcelain is a bettr choice imo for a kitchen floor,its tougher than ceramics

ive never really dropped any microwaves on my floor but yes cermaics will break easier

D

diamondtiling

I would go for stone, I also have the same problem with my stiletto heels on cushion flooring etc, its a real pain. Also I have actually dropped a microwave but it was out of a window into a skip so I cannot comment further as to what damage one might cause to a ceramic floor but I suspect something would break and a loud noise would occur.

:thumbsup:

L

loopyloo

oh wow .... thank you all for the comments .... didn't expect any this quick! I shall have a look at porcelain .... hopefully I can get the finish I want ... textured slightly and not glossy!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the builder just wanted to see you in Stilettos :D

I don't suppose you can show us a picture of you standing on this tile with your stillettos on so we can advise you better?

hehe :lol:

I

Ian

Bit strange that the spacia tile kept an indentation that didn't go away, a mate of mine fits amtico and has done so for 11 years, he fits it in offices and shops such as superdrug marks and sparks and these companies use it for the simple fact that it is hard wearing and can cope with massive footfall. I agree with the comments that porcelain is a beter tile for a kitchen but amtico/amtico spacia is suitable also. PS leave your microwave on the worksurface, don't carry it around! :)

L

loopyloo

oh well now I'm really confused! I looked at the sample again this morning and I couldn't see where I'd trodden to be honest. I just want something that will last for years .... which is why we went for a stone floor originally. I was drawn to the Amtico Space Contour because of its warmth and colour and the fact it was hardwearing. Is there anybody out there who has Amtico themselves and can let me know how they've got on with it? THANKS EVERYONE

L

loopyloo

I think the builder just wanted to see you in Stilettos :D

I don't suppose you can show us a picture of you standing on this tile with your stillettos on so we can advise you better?

hehe :lol:

LOL !!! I'm 53 and had trousers on - probably not the picture you pictured!!! LOL !!

D

diamondtiling

Amtico is a great product if installed properly but you will never beat underfloor heating with a natural stone finish Loo.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Amtico or Ceramic, stone etc???? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks