Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Amtico laid onto existing ceramic tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Can I get Amtico laid onto an existing ceramic tiled floor. The current tiles are well laid and flat. They have a very smooth (polished) surface AND there is under floor heating!

OP
A

Aston

no mate, it would look terrible. amtico shows everything, thats why the guys that fit it use spiked rollers over the slc to take any air bubble out etc. the substrate needs to be bang on or the light will show everything.

OP
S

SandyFloor

Actually you can under certain circumstances.

Your tiles will need to have the polished surface removed thoroughly to allow adhesion. They will then need to be primed with non diluted F.Ball Stopgap P131 primer. The screed will need to be Stopgap 700 flexible which give an extremely smooth finish. Over tiles this may need two applications.

Your main problem is removing the polished surface which can be done by scrabbling or abrading for which a machine is usually required. Probably best to lift the tiles...I usually do.

OP
A

Aston

totally agree with sandy about laying amtico if the existing floor is sound, mechanically keyed, primed and then slc'd BUT
your post asks can you lay amtico onto a 'very smooth, polished surface, so i am assuming you were asking if you could lay directly onto the tiled floor, as there was no mention of a self levelling compound...if thats the case, then i still say no.

but if correctly prepared as sandy explained then obviously it will be fine ;0)

ed

OP
N

newlineuk

Agree with all above, but alot of hassle to prep tiles and it's got to be spot on, best to take up tiles.

OP
S

Stwondering

What if the kitchen sits on the tiles. Is it as easy to cut around the units to remove tiles, or still better to prep and lay on top of tiles?

Reply to Amtico laid onto existing ceramic tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock