Discuss Alternative to battens for support? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good morning all.
I was contemplating screwing a batten to my walls before tiling, but don't really want to compromise the waterproofing membrane I have painted on.
However, I have just come across this on a supplier website;

"Mapei Super Flexible Adhesive has excellent resistance to tile slip so usually battens are not required when fixing."

Is this a risky strategy though?

I've seen the fancy metal rails the professionals use but I cant justify the cost for home DIY projects.

Thanks.

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
No adhesives gonna stop that slidding, I’d just start with the bottom row and level as you go

D

Dumbo

Mark a level datum line on the wall and measure down to the floor and cut your tiles to suit . When you have fixed the bottom row put a long straight edge along the tiles to make sure they are not crooked ideally a long spirit level.

Reaction score
Thanks Bopster. The thing is that the floor at the shower wall isn't level due to the fall of the wet room type shower tray.
So would I just cut my first tiles with a slope to match?
Thanks.

EDIT; I think JCR has just answered my question before I posted this! Thanks.

Reaction score
I have one of those cheap Stanley laser levels with a clamp on so I could use that to check my levels (as well as a 6ft level).
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate the replies.

O

One Day

Rather than screw or nail through the battens, just prop them with small pieces of wood.
Say the gap from floor to batten is 200mm then cut the wood props at 210mm and prop it in.
Works for me. Fast and doesn't compromise waterproofing with the added bonus that you can tweak your levels easily.

Reply to Alternative to battens for support? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks