Discuss Advise welcome....loose tiles.. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Joe90

We laid some rectified porcelain tiles, with wet ufh, on anhdrite screed..
Floor was dry before tiling,
Had been through a warm up and down cycle,
lattice (scum) on floor was sanded off,
Dust was removed to leave a clean dry surface.
Benfer soloflex adhesive was used, no need for primer according to the technical sheet supplied by the tile shop.
3mm spacers with plastic lifters were used.
Flexible grout
Floor was left for two and half weeks to dry naturally before ufh was turned back on, then left on low for two weeks before it was turned up to heat the room as required.

Now i have a few tiles that have Come loose... Haven't lifted one yet to determine if it's tile to adhesive or adhesive to floor....
Any thoughts forum members..????

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Does the tech sheet you read, have any mention to anhydrate screeds/priming??

Scrap that......I just looked

O

Old Mod

You need to lift a tile, simple.
You can’t guess, there’s many reasons a floor can fail.

O

Old Mod

Whenever I do one I get my friend to go over it with Diamond grinder ? Tried black pads once didn't get enough off !
Agreed Simon, did a failed anhydride last year which had been sanded, client confirmed the process had been done.
Thing was it was poorly done, large format tile, it had lasted 9 months.
If I could have removed the adhesive from the tiles, I could have re used them elsewhere, they virtually all came up in one piece. Shame.

89190746-16A9-499C-902C-AE102FC64CD6.jpeg

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
I cant really see the point of them ? I use a screeder who is nearly spot on. They say it is good cos its level ! Never had one level Lol

O

Old Mod

That’s the way I approached Si, yeah.
I used a ready mixed primer 50/50, 75/25, and neat.
(Ready mixed neat, so to speak :D)

J

Joe90

Thanks for the interest guys......
I when I've lifted one I will let you know... Hopefully get that done tomorrow......
The floor was skimmed over with a diamond blade sander... Not a sandpaper type material.... So it removed quite a lot of material...... This was done by the screed company about 2 months after it was laid...

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sure it should be done 4-6 days after application.

D

Dumbo

My bet is although it says doesn't need priming i reckon a coat of primer wouldn't of hurt because after cleaning up prior to tiling i expect there was still some dust present that the primer would of put down . There us a difference between doesnt need priming and whatever you do in any way shape or form do not prime .
Also did you back butter the tiles . Good practice but another thing it says you don't need to do .

W

WetSaw

That's quite a long time to wait to remove the laitence so it would have taken quite a bit to remove it. I would also have primed it, regardless of the adhesive instructions. I can't see how any adhesive is going to be as efficient with 2 surfaces of such differing absorption rates.

J

Joe90

Because of the primer issue, which is how I would normally seal a floor I was pretty particular about dust residue on the surface.. There was defiantly no dust or loose particles on the surface before it was tiled.... The tech sheet says no primer, the shop where it was purchased from said the same when I questioned it... As far as I know Benfer don't have any uk representatives to talk to... As told by said shop....!!
Tiles were back buttered, no dust or residue on the back...
If I'd have sealed the floor , as I would think should be the case and we'd have had an issue , then they would say we shouldn't have done it...!!!

Reply to Advise welcome....loose tiles.. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks