Discuss Advise on laying 100m2 over piped ufh in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all
I've recently quoted on laying 100m2 of porcelain throughout the ground floor of a house renovation. There is piped ufh and it has tarmac belitex screed over the top.
I have included laying ditra throughout but not expansion joints.
This will be my first floor of this size so I have a few questions:-
Are expansion joints still required with ditra?
Is ditra even necessary?
Could expansion joints and an S2 adhesive be an alternative option?? Cheers

J

J Sid

Can't use S2 with ditra
Yes must, must must have expansion joints

Don't know the screed being used, you must researched it an you post a link please.

Very brave taking on a job this size as a first one

Reaction score
Can't use S2 with ditra
Yes must, must must have expansion joints

Don't know the screed being used, you must researched it an you post a link please.

Very brave taking on a job this size as a first one

Thanks, yes I have looked at the data sheet and it mentions priming and expansion joints every 25m2
I was thinking either S1 on ditra or S2 directly onto the screed. Just wondering what other options are out there.

Reaction score
It will flow through different rooms but the bulk of it is 1 large kitchen diner extension.

The customer hasn't chosen the tiles yet but I think they are swaying towards large format natural stone effect porcelain.
I'm thinking of expansion joints at door ways if possible.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It will flow through different rooms but the bulk of it is 1 large kitchen diner extension.

The customer hasn't chosen the tiles yet but I think they are swaying towards large format natural stone effect porcelain.
I'm thinking of expansion joints at door ways if possible.
If the screed was poured correctly, then there should be expansion joints in the doorways , either way still insert them. Have any joints been put in the main area ?

And has the screed been commissioned with heat.

Reaction score
OK thanks Dave the screed was only laid yesterday so it hasn't been commissioned yet. I will need to pop back out and see if they have used any expansion joints if so follow those joints I take it?
Would you use ditra/durabase Dave??

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Di
OK thanks Dave the screed was only laid yesterday so it hasn't been commissioned yet. I will need to pop back out and see if they have used any expansion joints if so follow those joints I take it?
Would you use ditra/durabase Dave??
Ditra all day long and yes follow the joints.
That brand of screed requires 21 days before commissioning, they can crack , so anti crack mat is essential IMHO.
Ive tiled a few and they dry really quickly once heating is on.

Reply to Advise on laying 100m2 over piped ufh in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks