Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice required please, Multi floor level and underfloor heating... in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

DougT

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

i am new to this forum but after some advice if possible please. I am building a new extension and as part of the work i am knocking through between the new extension and an existing room. Ideally i would like Underfloor heating throughout. My plan for the new extension was pipe connected to 100mm insulation on top of concrete sub base - with a 75mm sand and cement screed on top.

However - because i am knocking through i have another floor level to consider as well (the existing floor). On ripping up the existing floor (wooden floor boards) - i discovered that the existing room is made up of two levels as well (see pics) - with one level approx 50mm lower than the other. Both are of concrete construction and neither appear to have any insulation. So - originally i was planning on doing the whole existing room with low profile UFH boards, with a ditra uncoupling matt on top followed by tiles....now i am unsure what options i have.....i dont want to dig up the existing floor....

Any advice really appreciated please - as at the moment i am very unsure on what real options i have....(and having 3 different floor bases in one room worries me in terms of different expansion rates etc....)

Thanks.

(photos of existing room only but can provide more if it helps)

Image from iOS.jpg
Image from iOS (1).jpg

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above, I did this in my own house.
Low profile ufh is a solfex system, been Down 5 years without a single glitch and Simple to install

O

Old Mod

Was half way thro writing exactly the same as @JulianSidney above, but was called away. 😊
I would add, wherever there is a break between different floors, insert expansion joint (this also entails splitting any matting on the same line, do not bridge the joints), even if it’s a 5mm silicone joint, and with a heated floor there should be no area bigger that 40m2 without one.
What’s total area of intended finished floor?
That will deal with your 3 different substrates, and should alleviate your fears of 3 different expansion rates.
There will be different rules for the new screed, if pipework is laid in screed.

Reply to Advice required please, Multi floor level and underfloor heating... in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock