Discuss Advice RE: Tiling as a new career at 28 in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JackBlack

Hi,

Long story short: I'm 28 and considering beginning a career in a trade-profession and I'm looking for some advice.

First, given the economy what it presently is, is tiling a worthwhile consideration?

Second, I'd have to get some form of qualification, from what I've read I could either go back to college for 1-2 years (not appealing) or do a privately run course for 6-8 weeks (?), these seem expensive but may be more worthwhile if they get me working sooner. However, they are short, so basically my question is: are they good enough to adequately prepare me for work?

And finally, supposing I got myself qualified, would employers be put off by my age? - I'm assuming I would be too old to qualify for some kind of apprenticeship program.

Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

It's a difficult one this!
Its not that you are too old, it's not that there is no work out there!
1-2 years to learn a trade is in the right Direction and 6/8 weeks for no qualification is rediculous, especially as none will get you any work.
Whats the answer? Don't really know but it is the Best job in the world - so good luck!

M

Mr T

go for it... but make sure its what you want to do. theres also choice 3 mate call your local tillers and offer a free hand in exchange for learning the trade. this may not be your cup of tea tho as its not very nice to work all week and just pick up dole money. I done it for about 2 months and a week with a tiler off this site I learned a lot tbh and showed me that it is what I want to do.

J

JackBlack

Thanks for the responses so far.

Mr T: I've never considered tiling before so I can't say how much I want to do. However, it does seem like work I could find pleasure in. It all just depends on future prospects...

Bri: I have no experience.

P

Peter

What job have you done previously? The reality is that if you come off a course with no experience or contacts and plan on setting up on your own, you'll be lucky to earn 3k in your first year. Labouring to a tiling squad and slowly learning the trade over several years is the way to do it, rather than competing a short course and trying to learn at the customer's expense. That way you learn all aspects of the trade from the bottom up and have someone keeping you right.

I

Ian

The experience is the key part, as a mature student, so to speak, you will struggle to get this and get good money for it at the same time. I suppose it depends how much money you need to live each month. As has been mentioned above, you will struggle to make a reasonable wage for a good couple of years. It is possible to do though, one of the other options is to do your chosen trade alongside your current job whilst you are training and then eventually do the trade full time once you have enough experience and work lined up.

M

millerforever

I was in a similar situation, no trade experience and 25 years old. I did a 2 night a week evening course for a couple of years, which I learn't the VERY BASICS. I learn't 10 times more going in with my mate who is a bathroom fitter. I would advise as Mr T says above by getting in touch with the local tilers, though don't be surprised if you may not have much luck as many feel why should they share their knowledge, expertise, train you up and then do what many of us would do and go on our own.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Jack, as most experienced tilers above have said, tiling is a very skilled trade, a short course will not prepare you. It takes years to become a real tiler, not just a bathroom basher, no amount of money can buy this knowledge .

I don't want to put a downer on your future plans, but a reality check is sometimes in order. There are some very talented people on this forum, many of them I would class as Master Tilers, some of these guys are finding it hard to earn the money they are used to commanding, the sad truth is the true tradesmen are competing with wanabees.

A real tiler can walk on any job be it domestic, industrial, or commercial , anywhere on this planet, in any country , and say "I am a tiler".

Unfortunatly not many fast track guys will ever stay the course and become successfull .

I do wish you well, as TJ says "it is the best job in the world" but only if you can do it.

Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Stay in employment until you are more than 100% ready, got the experience, half-decent tools, and bookings in the diary. Not sure what the short-course content teaches these days, but I very much doubt they prepare folk for the wide range of tiles / designs that customers choose. As you'll see from most of the pictures on this site, there's hardly any easy/box standard jobs, ie basic ceramics stuck on a wall & everyone's happy. Tiles getting bigger every week, dozens of adhesives and materials to choose from, mosaics, feature walls, glass, stone, sealing your tiles etc. And you kinda need to know how to approach all these different aspects of 'Tiling'.

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
Interesting, I have to be positive because I employ a 27 year old who is new to the trade. He had some basic general construction experience, an nvq in plumbing and was on An "intensive" tiling course when I took him on. Which I promptly advised him to stop attending after hearing some of the fundamental wrongs they were teaching.
Anyway after nearly a year he now understands the basic principles but is by no means a tiler. After working with labourers with no interest in progressing, i am now realising while trying to pass my knowledge on just how much there is to learn and teach. He is keen and really enjoys the trade but nowhere near ready for me to send him on jobs alone.
He earns minimum wage and will do for some time to come, if you are passionate and committed with a natural talent for the trade there is no reason why in a few years time you cant earn a decent living and once your skill set develops your earnings will reflect.
good luck

A

AMtek

Don't get drawn in by some of the companies that say if you spend 6 weeks with them learning a trade you will be able to go out and get a job as a tiler or set up self employed and earn 50k in your first year. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum would give you a job as a tiler and send you out on your own jobs after only attending a short course and domestic work is very difficult to find without other trades or tile shops passing work your way. You say that you aren't sure if tiling is for you but seems appealing, in my opinion if you don't have passion for the trade then you will not put up with the first couple of years of having a constantly empty bank account and if you do get through the first couple of years without the passion and pride in your work to do EVERY job to the very best of your ability then unfortunately you will not get the reputation you need to turn tiling into a sustainable career

Reply to Advice RE: Tiling as a new career at 28 in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks