Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice: Possible Fugabella product issue? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Home owner here based in Surrey with a new Porcelain tiled patio. I need some advice about some grout discolouration.

I had a new patio installed several months ago, and we have been struggling ever since the tiles were first laid down, with a recurring discolouration issue regarding the Fugabella grout that's been used. In short, the grout looks patchy, dark and wet even when the rest of the patio is clear/dry. This has not changed even across a series of baking hot days. Most of patio grout is fine so it isn't an issue across the entire space.

Our contractor is of the opinion that this is product issue. When this issue first arose we did actually have someone from the distributor (manufacturer) come over, who stated that it was an installation/mixing issue by our contractor. The affected grout was carefully cut out, the new installation guidelines were adopted, and replacement grout was installed. Within less than a week the same areas of discolouration returned. The contractor is now adamant that this has never happened to them in over 100 jobs and it must be a product issue.

We are just seeking some independent advice/thoughts about what could be causing this, and if anyone has ever seen anything similar before.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
korkowa135
Reaction score
The contractor broke up the original (thick) concrete base and used it to create the majority of the new sub-base. A new layer of concrete was put down on top of the broken-up original base, which the tiles were then sat upon.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
The contractor broke up the original (thick) concrete base and used it to create the majority of the new sub-base. A new layer of concrete was put down on top of the broken-up original base, which the tiles were then sat upon.
You do not say how large an area it is. Cut out the grout in an area of about 5 sq mts and regrout with Fugalite B10. This is a two part grout which resists staining.

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think the tiles not bee fixed properly and the water gets underneath
that’s why you having this problem

OP
korkowa135
Reaction score
I think the tiles not bee fixed properly and the water gets underneath
that’s why you having this problem
Hi Demi34 the tiles were laid on a fresh bed of mortar and the back of them were primed. Also there doesn't appear to be any movement so not sure if that is the case. Any other thoughts?

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Demi34 the tiles were laid on a fresh bed of mortar and the back of them were primed. Also there doesn't appear to be any movement so not sure if that is the case. Any other thoughts?
if you look the pictur carf has crackin line that’s why when the water gets underneath

Reaction score
Looks like the grout was mixed with to much water it’s only need 0.7lt per bag ….product issues are rare, user error is very common

OP
korkowa135
Reaction score
Hi Stu Lilley,
Thanks that was the thought process originally and the contractors cut out the grout and mixed it and applied it precisely as directed. The manufactures even gave them direct instructions to ensure it was done correctly. However a few days later it re-appeared. So that's why I'm trying figure out what else could be the cause.

S

StuLilley

Hi
If thats the case I would call Kerakoll and request a site inspection.

Kind regards Stu

OP
korkowa135
Reaction score
Thanks that's been done they are not being very helpful at all. I might re-post this under a different title to get some more traction. Thanks all.

A

Alan johnson

Picturesque landscape I have the same problem on a driveway 37 years experience never had problems with fugabella until the last 2 jobs the package now states .8litre so the product has change if the water ratio has changed .

A

Alan johnson

Same problem I have on a driveway they have increased the water ratio too .8l so they must have changed the formula.

Reply to Advice: Possible Fugabella product issue? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock