Discuss Advice please, should I restart floor tiles and re-level? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice if I may?

I recently embarked on a project to replace the bath in the en-suite with a shower, but once the state of the flooring became apparent the project grew legs and the whole room got gutted!

I have replaced all the OSB with 18mm ply, due to handling/transportation etc I used 1200x600 boards cut to suit joist locations and put shed loads of battens in and floor is pretty solid now, although with some lippage on the ply sheets.

I have then put self levelling compound down, but here is where I went wrong - despite pegging it to find the levels I got a flat floor but sloping towards the door, I think it happened when I put a second batch down and didn't observe the pegs properly,

I continued on in hope I could level off with adhesive, so Ditra mat went down, filled the waffles, banded the joints and edges the proceeded to tile.

However as I proceed from the high spot I'm finding it harder to level the tiles up, they are 30x60. I back butter and trowel with a large notch trowel but have had to put layers of adhesive down to layer it up to reach the right height, which is becoming increasingly frustrating and difficult :)

Anyway, rather than stubbornly push ahead, what's the best option here? I'd really prefer not to rip up the Ditra, but I do think I have enough tiles left that if pulled them up and relevelled and started again it wouldn't be so painful? is this an option with what has been done already? If I ripped up the tiles I guess would leave some layers of uneven adhesive to have self leveller poured onto would that work ok? Or should I take right back to the leveller under the Ditra?

I could potentially put some self leveller in the area I haven't tiled yet but I'm worried I'm making a dogs dinner of it all.

One of the main areas of concern I have around being as level as possible is the new WC is a back to the wall type with a large curved base, any lippage on the tiles there could leave this not supported correctly?

Thanks for any advice, realise I've bitten off quite a bit with the whole job but I simply don't have budget to get a pro in, so trying to make the best of it with what I can learn along the way.

Reaction score
Hi Dave, was about 10mm out on the last one, on looking this morning the ones I set last night had moved a bit as lippage worse than it was, perhaps it had moved as the adhesive set? Anyway I've bit the bullet and decided they needed to come back up, good job really as the adhesive not in full contact in places. Removing the adhesive also did some damage do the ditra so I've decided to go the whole hog and take it back down to the self levelling compound beneath (that ditra is a right one to remove, at least I must have stuck that one down well!) . I'm going to re-level the floor and be sure to get it right this time before I move on.

I'm gutted to have to rip it up but I'd rather do it now than later.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
:)
Hi Dave, was about 10mm out on the last one, on looking this morning the ones I set last night had moved a bit as lippage worse than it was, perhaps it had moved as the adhesive set? Anyway I've bit the bullet and decided they needed to come back up, good job really as the adhesive not in full contact in places. Removing the adhesive also did some damage do the ditra so I've decided to go the whole hog and take it back down to the self levelling compound beneath (that ditra is a right one to remove, at least I must have stuck that one down well!) . I'm going to re-level the floor and be sure to get it right this time before I move on.

I'm gutted to have to rip it up but I'd rather do it now than later.
Thanks for the update, let us know how you get on.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Good luck mate. Make sure to get yourself some levelling clips if you haven't already. It wont stop the floor running out if it does, but it will massively help with eliminating any lippage when you lay the tiles down again.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice if I may?

I recently embarked on a project to replace the bath in the en-suite with a shower, but once the state of the flooring became apparent the project grew legs and the whole room got gutted!

I have replaced all the OSB with 18mm ply, due to handling/transportation etc I used 1200x600 boards cut to suit joist locations and put shed loads of battens in and floor is pretty solid now, although with some lippage on the ply sheets.

I have then put self levelling compound down, but here is where I went wrong - despite pegging it to find the levels I got a flat floor but sloping towards the door, I think it happened when I put a second batch down and didn't observe the pegs properly,

I continued on in hope I could level off with adhesive, so Ditra mat went down, filled the waffles, banded the joints and edges the proceeded to tile.

However as I proceed from the high spot I'm finding it harder to level the tiles up, they are 30x60. I back butter and trowel with a large notch trowel but have had to put layers of adhesive down to layer it up to reach the right height, which is becoming increasingly frustrating and difficult :)

Anyway, rather than stubbornly push ahead, what's the best option here? I'd really prefer not to rip up the Ditra, but I do think I have enough tiles left that if pulled them up and relevelled and started again it wouldn't be so painful? is this an option with what has been done already? If I ripped up the tiles I guess would leave some layers of uneven adhesive to have self leveller poured onto would that work ok? Or should I take right back to the leveller under the Ditra?

I could potentially put some self leveller in the area I haven't tiled yet but I'm worried I'm making a dogs dinner of it all.

One of the main areas of concern I have around being as level as possible is the new WC is a back to the wall type with a large curved base, any lippage on the tiles there could leave this not supported correctly?

Thanks for any advice, realise I've bitten off quite a bit with the whole job but I simply don't have budget to get a pro in, so trying to make the best of it with what I can learn along the way.
The boards not thick enough

Reaction score

The boards not thick enough
18mm ply is plenty thick enough, trouble is ply is no longer the option to lay tiles on, as the quality of ply has become very poor, even the Marine ply.
The installation for tiled floor coverings over suspended floors are brio board / Tile backer board.

Reaction score
Haven’t got the budget to pay a tiler, but now paying for two lots of ditra/tiles/adhesive……
Hey ho seen it all before…

Reply to Advice please, should I restart floor tiles and re-level? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks