Discuss Advice please on quality of professional work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

alankd

Hi,
Had a bathroom re-fitted and need advice on the quality of workmanship of tiling.
Professional tiler who was supplied by the bathroom fitter did a great job on the wall, but came back and seemed to rush the floor job. the floor is on marmox boards then electric under floor heating.
I'm not happy with the job lots of uneven grout joints and walking on the floor without shoes on you can feel the uneven levels between tiles, the fitter has said he will deduct the cost of laying flooring from bill, but i feel it now distracts from the overall quality of the room.
Advice needed on what I should do now, am I being to critical or is the standard acceptable?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 5.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 138
D

diamondtiling

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

You are not being over critical at all, that floor needs sorting out because its not acceptable IMO. Have you paid already? If not then dont, get them to fix it.

:oops:

G

Gazzer

You are not being over critical and the fixer has already admitetd fault by deducting the floor price but then that leaves you to sort it out. If you have electric UFH then that could be a big issue to remove the floor tiles and replace them. You then have the cost of removing radiators to get a better finish around the pipes.

D

diamondtiling

Picture 3 is the worst one although they are all bad.

:incazzato::incazzato:

S

Scott

Thats rubbish :thumbsdown: Get him to redo it. Are you sure it was the tiler who did the floor as well?

C

Colour Republic

If that's the quality of the floor I can't see how they made a good job of the walls:thumbsdown:

Which means either it was done by a different person or they really didn't care when it came to the floor.

I would hazard a guess that the bathroom fitter is happy to deduct the cost of the floor as he is aware that rectifying the floor tiling will be more than the sum deducted due to the under floor heating. You may have some saving grace if the marmox was laid on top of the UFH

D

DHTiling

If that's the quality of the floor I can't see how they made a good job of the walls:thumbsdown:

Which means either it was done by a different person or they really didn't care when it came to the floor.

I would hazard a guess that the bathroom fitter is happy to deduct the cost of the floor as he is aware that rectifying the floor tiling will be more than the sum deducted due to the under floor heating. You may have some saving grace if the marmox was laid on top of the UFH

That should never be done...???

G

Gazzer

I read it as Marmox 1st then UFH !

D

diamondtiling

UFH would not work if the boards are on top, you got a hazy head today Rob??

:lol::lol:

D

DHTiling

Hi,
Had a bathroom re-fitted and need advice on the quality of workmanship of tiling.
Professional tiler who was supplied by the bathroom fitter did a great job on the wall, but came back and seemed to rush the floor job. the floor is on marmox boards then electric under floor heating.
I'm not happy with the job lots of uneven grout joints and walking on the floor without shoes on you can feel the uneven levels between tiles, the fitter has said he will deduct the cost of laying flooring from bill, but i feel it now distracts from the overall quality of the room.
Advice needed on what I should do now, am I being to critical or is the standard acceptable?

Hi Alan..

I think it would be wise just to sit down with your bathroom installer and express your concerns.
Make a list of what you are not happy with and then come to an agreement of how to rectify it..

Good luck and let us know how you get on..

C

Colour Republic

ahh I read it that the marmox was on top meaning they can rip the the whole thing up without damaging the UFH, not saying that's how it should be done:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

saying that, it can't be the case as how the hell would you fix the boards and miss the UFH? whoops i'm going back to bed

Reaction score
That's not nice, I would definitely want that floor completely replacing, especially if you paid a lot for it, as I imagine you would have done for fitting those tiles.:thumbsdown:

Reply to Advice please on quality of professional work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks