Discuss ADVICE PLEASE! - First time tiling - Installing split face tiles in my bedroom in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

James C

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm struggling to get a tiler in my area since lockdown so I have taken the bold decision to go alone as I need to get the project finished in the next month! I think I am prepared to start but I have some areas I'm not so clear on...

I will be starting by mechanically fixing 4mm Marmox boards to the wall.
  • Is a 6mm trowel correct for spreading the adhesive for the Marmox boards?
  • What is the recommended method for mechanically fixing? wait for the adhesive to set and then start drilling/screwing?
  • I have the washers, but which screws and plugs are recommended?? (dry lined/breeze block wall)
  • Should the washers sink into the marmox board to leave a flat finish for tiling?

With the split face tiles, I have some difficulties to overcome as well!
  • What is the best way to cut the skirting profile? Dremel rotary tool and a little diamond cutting blade?
  • I'm going to hire a wet tile cutter, but what is the best method for cutting a 42-degree angle (see photos!)

Any advice or recommendations very welcome! (or if you know a tiler in Southampton, even better!)

IMG_4050.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

Reaction score
I would not try and cut around the skirting just mark a line up the skirting where the tiles will come to and using a saw or multi tool if you have one remove the skirting so the tile will slide behind, much neater finsh in my opinion. I can’t see why you can’t tile straight onto the plaster board.

Reaction score
Assuming it’s not a wet area (I don’t know what you get up to in your bedroom!) you can tile onto the plasterboard. Should save you some pennies.

James C

TF
Reaction score
@Ben-gee @Harrybowling Thank you for your quick responses

The job i'm trying to match up with is from 2 years ago where the advice on here was to ensure the tiler overboarded due to the weight of these tiles per sq/m (nearly 40kg when adhesives factored in)

@Harrybowling Thank you for the idea with the skirting board being cut to the tiles own profile. Looking at how irregular the tiles are, it may be just as difficult, and I only get one shot at it! I'm going to buy some large diamond cutting discs and give it a go on some offcuts to see if i can cut a decent skirting profile into the tiles

Reply to ADVICE PLEASE! - First time tiling - Installing split face tiles in my bedroom in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks