Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on work being done please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority of the day I have just checked some of the tiles with my straight edge and it is not flat on a few of them. I usually do work myself, I am not a professional but really take my time getting it right. I needed this job done quicker so got in a professional who is a friend of a friend. Maybe I am being too anal but any advice is much appreciated as he is coming back tomorrow to finish off and I need to know if I should say something. Some of my pictures files are too big to upload but please let me know if you want more and I will try to reduce the size. Thank you
PXL_20221228_165512536.jpg
PXL_20221228_165557006.jpg
PXL_20221228_165620715.jpg

Reaction score
If you can prise them off(depending on what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive//setting time) , now may be easier to rectify than waiting until tomorrow. As a tiler, if something is going to annoy my client everytime they use their bathroom, I wouldn't be upset that they had been removed.
That said, I used a similar tile in my bathroom and there is a slight bend on the face of some tiles, but flat on the back!!
Plus, take a longer level and move it 1 or 2 tiles away. If it is flat, take a photo to justify your upcoming discussion .

OP
O
Reaction score
If you can prise them off(depending on what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive//setting time) , now may be easier to rectify than waiting until tomorrow. As a tiler, if something is going to annoy my client everytime they use their bathroom, I wouldn't be upset that they had been removed.
That said, I used a similar tile in my bathroom and there is a slight bend on the face of some tiles, but flat on the back!!
Plus, take a longer level and move it 1 or 2 tiles away. If it is flat, take a photo to justify your upcoming discussion .
Thank you for getting back to me. I will post another picture of the corner when I get home as I would love your opinion on this part please. I tried politely raising these issues with my tiler and he got the huff and walked out on me. Basically said it's the wall is that bad but I could see him scraping the bucket to try and get enough https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Even when I showed him the wall is flat he blamed something else. I even asked him yesterday "how are the walls" to which he replied "pretty good". I said you should have pre warned me if they were that bad but I knew they weren't. I am capable of doing it myself and did the floor I just needed a professional to come in and do a great job much quicker than I would. 3 days he said it would take to do around the bath which I fell is a long time for a pro (I had removed all previous tiles and prepped the wall). I just felt mugged off, I tried talk to him reasonably but he just got offended and left. Thank you again and please let me know what you think of this corner when I post some pictures 😊

OP
O
Reaction score
I thought I posted these yesterday but clearly didn't come through. I can live with the other tiles not being completely flat but this was my main gripe which he refused to fix and blamed on the wall...
PXL_20221229_172106650.jpg
PXL_20221229_172140117.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221229_172119662.jpg
    PXL_20221229_172119662.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20221229_172106650.jpg
    PXL_20221229_172106650.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20221229_172140117.jpg
    PXL_20221229_172140117.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hard to tell without seeing it in situ.
Measure from the front of the bath to the tile at both ends of the bath. That measurement should be the same. If there is a difference, that will be in mm how much it is out.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hard to tell without seeing it in situ.
Measure from the front of the bath to the tile at both ends of the bath. That measurement should be the same. If there is a difference, that will be in mm how much it is out.
That is a great idea :), I will do that when I get home. Thanks again for your help and advice

B

ben_gee

A level in one horizontal position like that does not tell the whole story unfortunately.
To survey the wall you MUST place the level in several different horizontal, vertical and diagonal positions. I have been doing this job for 26 years and you would be surprised what the above method will reveal on a "straight flat wall"!!!!!!!

OP
O
Reaction score
A level in one horizontal position like that does not tell the whole story unfortunately.
To survey the wall you MUST place the level in several different horizontal, vertical and diagonal positions. I have been doing this job for 26 years and you would be surprised what the above method will reveal on a "straight flat wall"!!!!!!!
Hi Ben, thanks for the reply! I have just checked on the small section of wall I have remaining and it's pretty flat in multiple directions. There is a small hump in one area. If he would have let me know about this I could have gone ok I need to fix these issues or carry on and I'll deal with the unevenness but I specifically asked "how are the walls" to which he replied "pretty good". That would have been the perfect time to let me know. He spent half the day telling me his life story but not working at the same time so I felt like I was being taken for a ride.

Reply to Advice on work being done please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock