Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on Tiling work that has been done please. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Good afternoon, I am after some opinions on some recent tile work I have had done, there are a few aspects of the work that I am not happy with.

Firstly, the wall tiles that have been used are ceramic and where they have been cut, this has caused splinters, which look like the glaze has been compromised, the contractor I used has told me that it is because the tile is cheap, so I spoke to the manufacturer who basically said they have had no previous issues with this tile and as they have now been put on the wall, that the contractor should accept responsibility for them. If I were to show some photos on here would anyone be able to say whether it is to an acceptable standard of workmanship or not, please?

Secondly, I specified a new shelving system, containing a niche to be built behind the bath, but strongly believe that the original timber that created a box to hide the plumbing, has been used, rather than measuring and fitting new timber, this has left a small gap of about 10mm to the right hand side of the bath, which was firstly filled with sealant, we were not satisfied with this and subsequently the gap has been filled with a slither of badly cut tile, and consequently the contractor has damaged the tile trim, if I where to put photos up would anyone be able to say whether it is to an acceptable standard of workmanship or not, please?

Thirdly, the tile on the niche area, especially the right angles around it, seem to be cut to a poor standard and the mitres on the tile trim surrounding it do not join nicely at a 45° angle, The tile trim on the side of the niche, seems to have been added after the tiles have been fitted, and is not flush with the tiles, The trim sits proud and is already coming away where the grouting is failing. if I where to put photos up would anyone be able to say whether it is to an acceptable standard of workmanship or not, please?

Finally, I was wondering whether anyone knew the tolerances on the finished floor level, as I have some lippage on the floor tiles, I have found out that it is clause 7.1.4 of the BS5385 Part 3: 2007, but have no access to the details, so any help would be fully appreciated. If I were to put some photos up of the floor tile would anyone be able to say whether it is to an acceptable standard of workmanship or not, please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and help draw closure to this situation.

Attachments

• Gap To RS Bath After.jpeg
    Gap To RS Bath After.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 80
  • Tile Splinter 2.jpeg
    Tile Splinter 2.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Tile Splinter 5.jpeg
    Tile Splinter 5.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 75
M

Matt2023

Where on earth did you find this tiler? Terrible workmanship I’m assuming he was cheap?

Reply to Advice on Tiling work that has been done please. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock