Discuss Advice on shower install in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've had first fix done on a bathroom renovation, my plumber advised I tank the walls before tiling, but I'm concerned about the walls.

The area behind the shower used to house a water tank and lots of the plaster is shot, surely this is not a good idea to tile on top of?!

I will be removing any loose plaster and if lots wants to come off I presume I should re-board. Which leads me to my main question, should I be looking at water resistant plasterboard or Hardy or other, and if so, is dot n dab enough to hold the weight of tiles, or should I be looking at mechanical fixing into the brick?

Photo of area behind shower is attached. It will be 900x1200, combi boiler fed, resin tray with R2 shower.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Attachments

• 1644920244791345676309639800478.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 23
W

Wobblerobert

Definitely use some sort of board if plaster board sound cover with 6mm HariBacker boards or do as I am doiong rip off old plasterboard amd screw on 12mm Hardibacker board only (.99 +vat tis month at Selco. tape all joints and onto tray and apply Everbuild aquaseal rubberised membraneover tapes stick tra to wall with CT1 and run abeed along tray leave 2mm gap to tray to silicone for belt and braces waterproofing

Reaction score
Yes remove all the plaster if shot.
Yes dot and dab plasterboard adhesive is adequate - remember to have a continuous horizontal bead of adhesive at floor and ceiling level ( this is for fire safety reasons)
Also remember one or two screws at high level, though a dab, once the adhesive has set - this is to stop the board peeling.

Don’t skim the board.

Then tank it with either a membrane (Impey water guard is my favourite) or a tanking solution - two full coats.

Reply to Advice on shower install in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks