Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on how to tile over a gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone,

We have just finished renovating our home and have saved the entry porch as a job for us to do. We would like to have a practise with tile as its a small simple shape. We have not tiled before.

There is just a little problem that i'm not sure how to solve.

The entry porch has a concrete floor and stops a bit short, before the door into the inner hall. I have added photos to help show what I mean.
The floor on the concrete side is about level with the inner hall floor, so once the tiles go down there will be a slight difference in heights.
The floor in the hall ends under the door.

Im not sure how to deal with the gap before the door. Im afraid if I fill the gap with cement that the tiles will crack along the join of the new and old concrete. This is something i'm assuming, maybe it will be fine?
Or perhaps I should stop the tiles at the end of the cement and have a big threshold? although im not sure the best way for that either, will need something custom as its a large gap and would be a bit ugly?

the gap between the cement and the hallfloor is around 100mm

Any advice on how to tile this would be appreciated.

IMG_20190503_084537.jpg IMG_20190503_084558.jpg IMG_20190503_084604.jpg IMG_20190503_084544.jpg IMG_20190503_084550.jpg

Reply to Advice on how to tile over a gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock