Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on bathroom floor partial retile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dighty

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello, am new here, I’m a homeowner looking for advice on fixing what appears to be a botched bathroom refit approx 3 years ago (single contractor did the lot singlehandedly, walls & floor retiled and new suite) with multiple issues. Issues became apparent with crumbling grout, I didn’t investigate quickly enough (too busy), could see movement in tiles and naively assumed replacing with flexible grout would solve. On removing grout recently I discover 6mm ply subfloor ruined and a leak from VERY poorly fitted toilet waste (virtually no hangover between the connector and the wall soil pipe) secretly dribbling into gap in tiles with every flush. Sub floor wrecked, black mould where tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ used to be etc. Ripped out that section of floor (roughly 1 x 1.5 m) , replaced floor boards, want to avoid redoing whole floor. Planning to use Hardiebacker and foam on affected area and get in a pro tiler to re-lay. 3 questions - I can see some movement in 1 of the remaining newly exposed floorboards, will this be a problem? It goes under the remaining ply so fixing it will require ripping more tiles up. And...do I need to rip up the whole lot and start again? I’ve discovered another cracked tile away from the leak damaged area which sounds hollow when tapped so I guess the 6mm ply is flexing. Finally, do I have any comeback with the contractor (assuming he isn’t in jail for crimes against plumbing)? Any advice gratefully received...

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How big an area are you talking about??

personally, I would lift the lot, and start again, as, and I think you know, the lot has been botched, and the only way is to strip out and do it properly.

I very much doubt you would have any comeback on the original contractor after 3 years.

OP
Dighty

Dighty

-
Reaction score
How big an area are you talking about??

personally, I would lift the lot, and start again, as, and I think you know, the lot has been botched, and the only way is to strip out and do it properly.

I very
If it’s on 6mm ply then definitely rip it
If it’s on 6mm ply then definitely rip it up
Thanks for the replies, think you’re right. Annoying though! Cheers.

OP
Dighty

Dighty

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, think you’re right. Annoying though! Cheers.
Although worry is that the tile goes beneath the shower tray which would be a nightmare, don’t want to mess with that (and adjoining wall tiles). Will need to investigate further.

Reply to Advice on bathroom floor partial retile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock