Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on a previous poor job. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I have had a nightmare job I probably shouldn’t have took on. Called to a customers house and the previous bathroom installer has laid on a basic wooden frame. Mosaics on the bath panel and tiles along the top around the bathroom as a surround. 1 tile has broken and sunk slightly. It is also leaking.

I explained to the customer, that unless they wanted the entire bath ripping out and new frame fitting. That we could tank around the bath. Used Bostik shower https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and bostik grout, designed for swimming pools.

The edge of the bath was so out, I couldn’t lay the tiles flat properly even with packing the tiles out. It’s not my best work and I feel terrible as a result. They have used large format ceramics 60x30 to cover the old mosaics.

When I got advice from home (as you do) my dad said a more experienced tiler would never take on a repair job as you can’t really polish a t••d.

how would you guys of handled this please?

FAEE9CC5-8F6C-4575-9001-398559636B0B.jpeg

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The tiles are to big for tubbed addey and also no good on timber. the tiles will
stay on that for about 3 months tops
Should have used a flexable bagged adhisive and grout.
My advice would be to say that you tried to fix the problem
but you dont feel happy that because of what your tile onto
and advise them the only way to get it right is to rip it all out
and start again. But use the right materials if you do it again

OP
O
Reaction score
The tiles are to big for tubbed addey and also no good on timber. the tiles will
stay on that for about 3 months tops
Should have used a flexable bagged adhisive and grout.
My advice would be to say that you tried to fix the problem
but you dont feel happy that because of what your tile onto
and advise them the only way to get it right is to rip it all out
and start again. But use the right materials if you do it again
I genuinely appreciate your reply and not bashing on me.
I have explained to the customer so far that I’ve done the best I can for them to date. I think I’ve stopped the leak by tanking and will silicone it properly, which was a concern if theirs.

But I did say this wasn’t a long term fix as to get this done properly it needs the entire bath doing properly. As ideally I should of been tile onto aqua boards. But they’ve never been used.

shown them using the laser level the previous guy has done none of that. I’m just gutted I couldn’t fix it better.
But I appreciate your reply, why would they only last a few months?

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The adhisive... dont use tubbed adhisive on anything
its no good on large format tiles and you cant tile on wood
it just wont last always use a good flexable bagged adhisive
If you explaned it all to them then you did all you could
learn from it and move on there's always another problem
to solve around the corner..🙂

OP
O
Reaction score
The adhisive... dont use tubbed adhisive on anything
its no good on large format tiles and you cant tile on wood
it just wont last always use a good flexable bagged adhisive
If you explaned it all to them then you did all you could
learn from it and move on there's always another problem
to solve around the corner..🙂
No I’ve tiled on top of their old tiles.. which were on a basic wooden frame. As I said taking them off, if their new tiles didn’t fit they would basically need to start from scratch. Which they didn’t want to do for obvious reasons.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok but i never use tubbed not even for that, its just no good!!!
but thats just my opinion and that of most compatent, experianced
tilers

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok but i never use tubbed not even for that, its just no good!!!
but thats just my opinion and that of most compatent, experianced
tiler I just thought it being a small job it would save time and mess.
Thought maybe it would be quicker and less mess. But there is a lot that say the same as you. I appreciate it. Thanks for replies! Mike

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
With regards to tugged https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ versus bagged. Can you pack bagged https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out further? this is more for future reference

Hi all,

I have had a nightmare job I probably shouldn’t have took on. Called to a customers house and the previous bathroom installer has laid on a basic wooden frame. Mosaics on the bath panel and tiles along the top around the bathroom as a surround. 1 tile has broken and sunk slightly. It is also leaking.

I explained to the customer, that unless they wanted the entire bath ripping out and new frame fitting. That we could tank around the bath. Used Bostik shower https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and bostik grout, designed for swimming pools.

The edge of the bath was so out, I couldn’t lay the tiles flat properly even with packing the tiles out. It’s not my best work and I feel terrible as a result. They have used large format ceramics 60x30 to cover the old mosaics.

When I got advice from home (as you do) my dad said a more experienced tiler would never take on a repair job as you can’t really polish a t••d.

how would you guys of handled this please?

View attachment 123882
I would of looked at the room , and said unless you want to start again , I'm not putting my name to this !! Just the boxing round the bath is just always going to be a problem .

Reply to Advice on a previous poor job. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock