Discuss Advice needed with tiling over formica/laminate kitchen worktop in a persimmon new build. in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

MattB

TF
Reactions
Hi everyone, first post here.
So we moved into a Persimmon new build 3yrs ago and the cheap kitchen worktop is looking worse for wear. Now my French father in-law has been an artisan tiler over the last 50yrs and says he thinks its possible to tile over the worktop rather than the hassle and cost of replacing it. The only thing he's not too sure about is both the surface and the curved edges. In France tiling worktops is common however they don't usually have formica tops, they're either solid wood or various stones and granites. I've noticed Dural dp Aluminium Worktop Countertop Edging For Tiles - 2.5m. - https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/aluminium-worktop-countertop-edging-for-tiles-2-5m/ is available from a supplier to finish the edges but again I don't know if it would be high enough to cover the curved edge of worktop. Has anyone managed to successfully tile a laminate worktop?
Any advice would be most welcome, thanks, Matt

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,619 57 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Hi everyone, first post here.
So we moved into a Persimmon new build 3yrs ago and the cheap kitchen worktop is looking worse for wear. Now my French father in-law has been an artisan tiler over the last 50yrs and says he thinks its possible to tile over the worktop rather than the hassle and cost of replacing it. The only thing he's not too sure about is both the surface and the curved edges. In France tiling worktops is common however they don't usually have formica tops, they're either solid wood or various stones and granites. I've noticed Dural dp Aluminium Worktop Countertop Edging For Tiles - 2.5m. - https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/aluminium-worktop-countertop-edging-for-tiles-2-5m/ is available from a supplier to finish the edges but again I don't know if it would be high enough to cover the curved edge of worktop. Has anyone managed to successfully tile a laminate worktop?
Any advice would be most welcome, thanks, Matt
It won't last . It will come unstuck due to the nature of the Formica .

W

WetSaw

As your better half how she/he feels about keeping the grout clean.
By the time you've bought tiles,adhesive, fitted them and waited for it to dry before you can use it, you could have new worktop fitted and done.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
204 1
If you really must do it screw 6mm hardie backer to the formica worktop first , but as above it will probably work out more money than replacing the old worktops with new ones . Kop

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reactions
172 1
So rough cost to replace with good quality laminate worktop (1.5 blanks) is £300 materials plus a days labour £200 for someone that knows what there doing.
I know what route I’d be doing, then again I’m a kitchen fitter and not a pro tiler

MattB

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thing is, I really don't want a laminate worktop again. Ideally quartz if money wasn't an issue or tiled worktop. My father in-law would be tiling for free so no labor costs to add in. O ly other option is a solid wood top but I have no experience with costs and weather to go with a precut and delivered job to save costs or get a kitchen fitter in.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,503 20
In what way are they worse for wear, if they are actual Formica worktops they have a pretty good warranty and they should offer replacement if it’s wear and they are not damaged.

MattB

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Edges chipping off, cups fell ot the cupboard and toog a chunk out of the curved edge. All surfaces show microscratches. Just naff to be fair.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,503 20
Oh ok, if you like quartz but it’s out of your budget solid surface worktops will be cheaper. They sit between solid wood and quartz price wise.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
204 1
Look at granite transformations UK they clad over the existing work tops in all sorts of materials . Cheers kop

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reactions
172 1
Don’t rate ur chances of granite transformations being very competitive. I had a customer who had a quote from them, I managed to supply 20mm quartz tops for less than they quoted!

Reply to Advice needed with tiling over formica/laminate kitchen worktop in a persimmon new build. in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Click here to support the forum/remove ads
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.