Discuss Advice needed please in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Just over a year ago I paid a tiler a lot of money to tile my kitchen floor. The tiles were zelve from Topps Tiles and were also expensive. Two of the tiles broke when I dropped something on them. I have had a different tiler come in today to replace one of the broken tiles and he has said the tiles have not been laid properly. Instead of adhesive being spread all over they have just put a couple of blobs here and there making them unstable.

I just want to know what to do. Do I contact the original tiler and tell him I want the floor replaced or can I ask them for money to pay for someone else to do it as I would rather not have the original tiler do it. I just really want to know where I stand and what my options are.

I know that if I contact him he is going to try and fob me off. Are there any organisations I can contact that will help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
If its been dot and dabbed (a few blobs on each tile), then its completely unacceptable and you should ask for it to be lifted and re installed properly. Problem being, all of the tiles could need replacing aswell so it's quite some cost.

We as tilers are supposed to conform to British Tiling Standards and correct installation of tile is covered within these. Dot and dab is not to standards and is not acceptable.

There is every chance further tiles will break, so I would be inclined to contact the original tiler and have a discussion in the first instance about what you have found and what they intend to do to put it right. And dont allow them to for you off. If they are professional they wouldn't have done it that way in the first place, but if they have any sense, they will come and put it right. It takes a long time to build a reputation and no time at all for that to get ruined, so these things are usually best addressed to the customers satisfaction.

Good luck

Edd

Reply to Advice needed please in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks