Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice needed on tanking wall-to-ceiling and wall-to-shower tray joints in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Planning to tank my en-suite tomorrow, using the BAL WP1 waterproofing kit. The ceiling is existing painted plasterboard. Do I need to tape and treat the joints between wall and ceiling like I do for the corners?

My gut says no, as the WP1 can't be painted on etc after. Presumably if I don't tank them, then I can just finish with sealant to match the paint? I know some just caulk too.

Just checking I'm not making a daft decision!

Also, where the bottom of the wall meets the shower tray, do I waterproof that joint? I'm assuming if I do that half of the tape will overlap down onto the shower tray for the time being, with WP1 just being applied to the walls and not the tray itself. Then presumably I just cut the tape away after tile?? Some advice on how you go about waterproofing that joint would be much appreciate!

F

Flintstone

Your right about the ceiling, as long as you tank to the shower head that's enough. Sealing to the tray is a debatable thiing, some do exactly as you have said as I do myself when I need to, but I prefer tanking before the tray goes in when possible or even if the tray is in but not siliconed I will tape the tray up and tank below the tray Line give it a good deal with silicone after .

G

GoneGuy

Same as @Localtiler.
You could always mark where edge of tile sits on tray and use masking tape to protect rest of tray from paint and drips

W

Waluigi

Personally I don’t tape the wall to tray joint. I’ll tank and then silicone on top of the tanking

If you can, tank the wall first you then bond the tray to the tanked wall with clear silicone. Clear sticks better than white or coloured.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all, amazingly useful as usual. I’ve already sealed between bottom of the wall and the tray itself, so will have to tank over that. Planning to use masking tape to assist with how far onto the tray I go as suggested.

W

Waluigi

Bal might’ve changed the formula since I last used it but I specifically remember them saying that their tanking won’t stick to silicone. This is going back many years though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmm, I’ve got a dilemma then. I’ve alresdy siliconed between the tray and the bottom of the wall. Do you suggest I remove this silicone and replace with something else than I *can* tank (caulk??), or should I just apply the tanking to the wall only for now and rely on the silicone underneath as a water barrier (note that this will be behind tiles and a further line of sealant between bottom of tiles and the tray).

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’d just tank down to the tray , not a fan of rapping the tape over the tray , I can peel any spilled tanking off a tray with ease , so imo sticking the tape on the tray is a weaker joint than silicone ,silicone is harder to peel off , tanking is made to protect the substrate in a shower area, whereas in a wet room it’s to stop leaks .
I’m sure some will disagree with me ;)
(That’s when I tank ;) )

W

Waluigi

Hmm, I’ve got a dilemma then. I’ve alresdy siliconed between the tray and the bottom of the wall. Do you suggest I remove this silicone and replace with something else than I *can* tank (caulk??), or should I just apply the tanking to the wall only for now and rely on the silicone underneath as a water barrier (note that this will be behind tiles and a further line of sealant between bottom of tiles and the tray).

You’ve got Hardiebacker on the walls right?

I’d lay a blade flat onto your tray and score through the silicone, then scrape the silicone off the wall with a scraper. Leave the silicone that’s between the tray and the wall. Then tank, then a bead of sealant on top. Hopefully that makes sense.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You’ve got Hardiebacker on the walls right?

I’d lay a blade flat onto your tray and score through the silicone, then scrape the silicone off the wall with a scraper. Leave the silicone that’s between the tray and the wall. Then tank, then a bead of sealant on top. Hopefully that makes sense.
Why just take a mm or two of silicone off the wall , than tank, the silicone is doing the same as the tanking would

W

Waluigi

Yes and no.

For me personally I think it’s a better job to apply silicone to tanking rather than trying to tank next to or on top of silicone. For the reasons stated above.

O

One Day

I've seen too many cases where silicone (usually clear) degrades and debonds over time.
Far better to carefully bond a tape to the tray using something like Kerdi-fix / Wedi 610 (a good elastomeric https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/) and then the tape into the tanking.
Personally, I think silicone should be seen as a cosmetic rather than a functional product in wet areas.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I always seal round with either Sticks Like S**t or CT1, that way you can tank over it as it’s paintable.
Mask off round the tray about 5mm in, apply tanking and remove the tape.
Use 2mm spacers between tiles and tray and fill the gap with silicone when finished.

Reply to Advice needed on tanking wall-to-ceiling and wall-to-shower tray joints in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock