Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice Needed On Cleaning Newly Discovered Tile Floor Please in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, after ripping up some tatty laminate floor in the hall of our 1930s house we ve discovered a red, cream and black diamond patterned tiled floor. Under the laminate some muppet had previously covered up the tiles with glued down vinyl floor tiles (why?? God only knows). We ve managed to scrape up the vinyl tiles with white spirit and lots of elbow grease. The tiles are still dirty and have lots of glue residue still on them and I don t really want to go any further without advice, worried the tiles are porous and don t want to use white spirit anymore in case it soaks in. Any advice on cleaning, re-grouting and sealing would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Girty (ps the tiles are matt, not glazed)

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi, after ripping up some tatty laminate floor in the hall of our 1930s house we ve discovered a red, cream and black diamond patterned tiled floor. Under the laminate some muppet had previously covered up the tiles with glued down vinyl floor tiles (why?? God only knows). We ve managed to scrape up the vinyl tiles with white spirit and lots of elbow grease. The tiles are still dirty and have lots of glue residue still on them and I don t really want to go any further without advice, worried the tiles are porous and don t want to use white spirit anymore in case it soaks in. Any advice on cleaning, re-grouting and sealing would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Girty (ps the tiles are matt, not glazed)
could you post some pics

OP
F

flirtygirty123

imagejpeg

OP
F

flirtygirty123

Hoping these photos copied ok.
Im trying to send from an iPad and it won't let me 'attach file' like a computer.
Regards

imagejpeg

OP
F

flirtygirty123

Thank you all, I cannot seem to load photos from an iPad. I could e-mail one direct if I had an e-mail address, if that's possible. Regards

OP
I

Ian

Send a pic to the email in my signature and I should be able to sort something for you.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
very nice ,im no expert when it comes to tile restoration , and im sure others will will be along soon

the one product that springs to mind is ltp grimex

OP
B

bennyp5938

LTP Grimex and [DLMURL="http://www.ltp-online.co.uk/ltp-power-stripper_3.html"]LTP Power Stripper[/DLMURL] are the two solutions to choose from in my opinion. Power stripper is a stronger cleaner but both should be effective, along with a lot of elbow grease from you of course. You should be able to restore the floor to it's former glory. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

flirtygirty123

Thanks to Brian and Rob for uploading the photo for me and for the advice, hubby s off to get some grimex later. ( I ll keep your number Rob for any future jobs we may have as we re only down the road in Retford) also thanks to the website/forum

OP
M

MARBLE_TONY

Right first of all Grimex alone and elbow grease is not going to work. You have some serious in ground dirt among others like glues and other things probably waxes etc. The only way to go is to first Hire yourself a rotary machine no more than a 175rpm with a soft-medium brush and some white and black pads along with a wet vac. It is most likely not going to have a DPM so the wet vac is going to be important to minimize the amount of water ingress to prevent causing yourself another problem called efflorescence.

So firstly you need a good stripper to soften all that surface glue and wax residue you have on the surface either Aqua Mix Sealing & Coating Remover or the LTP route with Solvex agitate it in now its not elbow grease that is going to do it for you but a good dwell time of around 30 mins agitate in between but not for long. Give a good rinse and vac up.

Next pre wet the floor with clean water Dilute a Heavy duty cleaner such as Power Stripper and add agitate in and again allow to dwell for around 10mins then add a little Grimex agitate in dwell for a further 10mins rinse and vac again. Work in small manageable areas so not to allow to much water in grease.

Now at this point you will need to assess the floor and decide how far you want to go. If your still not please with it repeat above stage but add Aqua Seal Hone220 grit after the dwell time and then again asses it now at this point there is only one further step you can go and that is to Poultice the whole floor and leave it for 24-48 Hours.

Then seal with impregnating or topical sealer.

Reply to Advice Needed On Cleaning Newly Discovered Tile Floor Please in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock