Discuss Advice needed - Laying ceramic tiles on a (Lino)floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sparkler

Hi all

I need to advice on how to lay ceramic tiles on a floating floor, there is a lino, and can be pulled up to leave plywood.

I have had 2 pieces of advice from my local builders, but now confused as to which one is best, obviously i wouldnt want to cut any corners, but would prefer the cheapest option, as the tiles have just cost me enough...lol...

Firstly i was told to lay them on top of the floating floor with the lino staying and using a special adhesive that will allow movement, so the tiles will not crack (very expensive too lol)

secondly to rip uo the lino leaving just the plywood, and to use cement motar.

I bought this tiles a few weeks ago, and would really love to be able to have them on my kitchen floor, but now i am so confused as to how to go about it.

I would appreciated any advice

Many thanks

Sparkler

F

faithhealer

Hi Sparkler, welcome to the forum for a start., Firstly chuck the lino out and check the floor is solid. E.g. is the ply (hopefully 12 mm or greater) screwed down properly. Have a good stomp about (a technological tiling term) and check there is no 'spring' anywhere. get yourself down to your tile shop and get yoursely a bottle of primer (don't accept PVA) and a bag of flexible rapid set and a flexible floor grout. Hope that will do for starters.

V

versatilene

Iv'e never understood the term 'Floating' floor? how does it float? Do you mean springy?

S

Sparkler

hi,
This is taken from the internet:
Floating floors are designed to be installed onto a concrete subfloor, or any other flat, firm and level surface without the need to use battens, nails or glue. They "float" because they are not attached to the subfloor in any way, and therefore can be installed very quickly. The mass of the floor keeps it in place.
Floating floors made from wood can consequently expand and contract with the changing seasons without cracking, splitting or forming gaps. A floating floor is usually installed on a special underlay, which acts as a moisture barrier and sound absorber.

I hope that helps

thanks

Sparkler

C

Caledonian Tiling

Remove the lino, checking the plywood (suggest its a minimum 12mm thick) and is sound also has been screwed/nailed down every 150-200mm intervals, prime the surface with an acrylic primer, using cement adhesive x1 part flexible to allow the natural movement of the plywood, also using a flexible grout as well to ensure no issues.

Hope this helps...

Caledonian.

G

GazTech

Remove lino,prime the boards after securing any loose , tile with 2 part flexible adhesive and add polymer to the grout here are my recommended products........Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice needed - Laying ceramic tiles on a (Lino)floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks