Discuss Advice for tiling bathroom in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello there,

Im newbie in terms of DIY, my wife wanted to do refurb of bathroom so here we are.

Her uncle is helping me out however i think he want to do it with low / no effort option.

We have tiles 60x30 to be laid on 3 walls in bathroom. And my thinking is we should make walls even before tiling.
However he said we can put more tile adhesive to make it even.

Any ideas what we should so ?
A) plaster walls and put primer before applying tile adhesive / tiles.
B) ignore uneven walls putadhesive on already primed walls loss diffrence on adhesive.

Pictures for references

Thanks
M

IMG_20201105_204118.jpg

IMG_20201105_204112.jpg

IMG_20201105_204108.jpg

IMG_20201105_204104.jpg

IMG_20201105_204053.jpg

IMG_20201105_204058.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

You have a couple of considerations to make before deciding how to tile your walls, as follows:

1. If your tiles have a thickness of 8mm or more then there is a good chance you would be exceeding the weight limit specified by the British standards of 20kg per M2 onto a plaster substrate. This would be without also considering the weight of the adhesive which could add an additional 3kg per M2 or more if building-up the adhesive bed to level the tiling. You will need to be using a cement based adhesive for those sized tiles and if fixing to plaster it will need to be sealed with an SBR primer or suitable equivalent. Just to add, cement based adhesive should not in most cases be used at a thickness greater than 6mm or 10mm in limited areas.

2. Is there a shower/wet area included within the tiling? If so then consider that plaster is water sensitive and with continued wetting could contribute to a failure, so tanking the plaster in the wet areas could be considered, or a better option would be lining the walls with a cement type backer board which adds a water resistant/waterproof substrate and will help level the walls whilst also being ideal for taking cement based adhesive.

Reply to Advice for tiling bathroom in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks