Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice for grout and edges please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Alexob

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I’m tile my kitchen (first attempt at tile) and have a couple of questions.

1) what can I do to sort this edge where it meets the splash back? I thought I could grout it but the tiles aren’t all the same length and I think it’ll look rubbish.

2) my wife wants to use a light grey grout to match the kitchen but I think the tile looks a bit sloppy and I’m worried that a darker grout (Mapei Manhattan) will highlight my bad tile.

Should I have got a professional in? YES! Any advice here would be welcomed.

Attachments

• 8C7F68CA-B155-4F08-B7AA-23E3B3BB3BE9.jpeg
    8C7F68CA-B155-4F08-B7AA-23E3B3BB3BE9.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 82FD61A8-BA83-4B65-9961-40A3BB869D62.jpeg
    82FD61A8-BA83-4B65-9961-40A3BB869D62.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 682C1727-2DC3-452A-8288-E70166B79F7E.jpeg
    682C1727-2DC3-452A-8288-E70166B79F7E.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 30

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
1) The edge would look neater if you could get the tiles the same length, you could file them down. If you have enough tiles and are confident enough I would suggest redoing the cuts to get them even. Alternatively based on what you are left with I think would attempt to hide it with some trim. It looks like you are cutting them with an anglegrinder, invest in a cheap score and snap tiler cutter and you will get a cleaner edge.

2) You are correct, a contrasting grout can highlight uneven grout lines. White grout on white tiles will be more forgiving. Manhattan is very pale though so you might get away with.

The tile itself doesn't look horrendous, I seen worse posted on here by supposed professionals. It needs a good clean up and make sure you clean any https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out of the joints as this can peak through the grout.

OP
A

Alexob

-
Reaction score
1) The edge would look neater if you could get the tiles the same length, you could file them down. If you have enough tiles and are confident enough I would suggest redoing the cuts to get them even. Alternatively based on what you are left with I think would attempt to hide it with some trim. It looks like you are cutting them with an anglegrinder, invest in a cheap score and snap tiler cutter and you will get a cleaner edge.

2) You are correct, a contrasting grout can highlight uneven grout lines. White grout on white tiles will be more forgiving. Manhattan is very pale though so you might get away with.

The tile itself doesn't look horrendous, I seen worse posted on here by supposed professionals. It needs a good clean up and make sure you clean any https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out of the joints as this can peak through the grout.
Thanks mate, that’s great advice. I’m going to get a trim and redo the edge. Nice one!

Reply to Advice for grout and edges please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock