Discuss Advice for a pretty simple bathroom floor & walls in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TJD123

Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm getting a new bathroom suite and re-tiling the floor and walls and need advice as to the best way forward. I'm an experienced amateur having renovated a few properties over the years, simple bathrooms, kitchens toilets and the like with no problems.

It's a newish (2002) new build house main bathroom, -
  • Floor - 3m2. 18mm chipboard boards. Replacing existing with hexagon mosaic (pic)
  • Walls - Stud with 12mm skimmed plasterboard. 13m2. tiling with 280x360mm plain white ceramic to the ceiling on 3 walls.

I've read lots of posts on here and basically come up with information overload as to the best products to use and laying technique! o_O

What I know -
Removing floor back to smooth bare board (pic).
I'm getting tile backers for the mosaic floor tiles.
I'm removing the plasterboard and putting on new board of some type.
Want to make the actual tiling as easy as possible and do it properly.

Questions
  • Are tile backers a must for mosaics, anything I need to be careful of the tiles are 4mm? Looking at Tile Easy honeycomb matt. 'bout £30 for 3m2
  • A good adhesive for the floor.
  • A good adhesive for the walls.
  • A good grout.
  • A suitable wall board, i.e. cost effective. It won't be a shower bath.
  • Vital tools (I have the basics and a wet cutter)
  • Is it better to remove/replace the skirting board, tile underneath I think it looks better, or butt up to the board. Does it matter!?
  • Is it a good idea to prime/seal the floor tiles.
  • Anything obvious I've missed!?
  • Does anyone actually want/use the electric shaver points in the bathroom nowadays!?

A lot of questions but any pointers VERY MUCH appreciated. I've got 2 young kids and need to be quick once the bathrooms out!

Regards
T.

IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG

0f64b7f7-12ed-48f0-8d2f-ac3eb89d075a.JPG

O

On one

Questions,questions,questions. .......is that a grey laminated surface on your chipboard floor?

L

LM

That’s what we call Weyroc board over here. Yes it’s a chipboard core with a water resistant textured surface.

T

TJD123

Yes it's Wayroc, the old adhesive stuck to it alright! Not looking forward to the removing, it took 20 minutes to do the bit in the photo. Good stuff until it needs lifting.

Reply to Advice for a pretty simple bathroom floor & walls in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks