Discuss Advice for a newbie in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,I was hoping to get some advice on laying 800x800 polished porcelain floor tiles,I've never done it b4 ,its approx 18sqm in my kitchen and into my downstairs bathroom,I've self leveled the floor and was looking 4 some tips on type of adhesive, which size notched trowel,whereas best to start the job and are these wedges/straps any good 4 this size tile to cut down on lipage, thanks in advance martin

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Best tip you will get Martin is to get a pro in, that size of tile will require the right tools, not that I doubt your abilities but it's a fair old size to tackle DIY

Reaction score
Best tip you will get Martin is to get a pro in, that size of tile will require the right tools, not that I doubt your abilities but it's a fair old size to tackle DIY
Thanks for getting back to me tony,I did price up getting a pro in ,and I'm just weighing up my options using the leveling straps/wedges,I've done most other things in house I.e concreting floor,self leveling, rewire,plumbing but just never done tiling b4,I'm quite fortunate cos thetes only me&my daughter living here so I can take my time and she doesn't mind living in a building site lol

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd be using a 12mm minimum trowel on them and skimming the back, could even be tempted to use a 4/6mm trowel on the backs.

Use a flexible standard set s1 adhesive, I tend to stick to white and just keep all my joints clean as I go. Easiest clip system is the premtool style ones you can order online and similar ones from different sites.

Find your center point of the room and work out an even layout to both sides and try avoid any small or difficult cuts into/around door ways.

Use a multi tool to trim door frames and slide the tile under and take the skirtings off if you can leaving some space for expansion.

Reaction score
I'd be using a 12mm minimum trowel on them and skimming the back, could even be tempted to use a 4/6mm trowel on the backs.

Use a flexible standard set s1 adhesive, I tend to stick to white and just keep all my joints clean as I go. Easiest clip system is the premtool style ones you can order online and similar ones from different sites.

Find your center point of the room and work out an even layout to both sides and try avoid any small or difficult cuts into/around door ways.

Use a multi tool to trim door frames and slide the tile under and take the skirtings off if you can leaving some space for expansion.
Thanks for all the advice tony that's just what I was after,all the skirts are off at mo as the room has been plastered and the old skirts was that knackered I decided to replace them so that will make it easier

Reply to Advice for a newbie in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks