Discuss Advice appreciated on first tiling attempt in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and regret it I thought it would be sensible to ask the pros for their opinion.

It's a small kitchen ~2.3m x 2m, on the top floor of old victorian building, currently with bare original floorboards, some of which are split. My goal is to prepare the floor for laying 50mmx50mm ceramic tiles.

Here's the short and fast of my current plan:

1) Remove skirting boards
2) Fix loose floorboards with countersunk screws
3) Replace split floorboards with ply of the same depth (18mm), ending up with a mixed subfloor of ply and floorboards
4) Prime subfloor (Aquapanel board primer)
5) Flexible adhesive (unsure of which adhesive) AquaPanel 6mm board to subfloor and secure with AquaPanel screws
6) Fill joints with adhesive
7) AquaPanel tape over cement board joins and cover tape with adhesive
8) Prime board
9) Adhesive and tile
10) Return skirting boards

I've got a couple of questions to ask before I can relax and get on with it:

1) Is it a mistake to only replace some of the floorboards with ply? I would replace all of them with ply, but the kitchen units are on top of the ones in fine condition so it would be a lot of trouble to remove them.

2) The biggest ledge between adjacent floorboards at the moment is ~2mm, and this may be bigger when I replace some with ply. What is the biggest ledge that is acceptable with AquaPanel?

3) Can the same primer be used on floorboards and ply? What should be done to prepare floorboards for priming?

Thank you for tolerating my ignorance, I appreciate any help you can give. Really any feedback is useful: Material recommendations, trowel depth/thickness. You name it, I don't know it. Nothing is too simple, I promise.

Thank you,
Luke

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_171145278.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220430_171154879.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 19

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If there would be a way to replace the floorboards with 20mm plywood I would do that. I would install Durabase CI++ Matting uncoupling membrane on top of the plywood using primer and at least an S1 adhesive. Nowadays there is an S2 (extra flex) adhesive available at Nico Bond or Topps Tiles
Primer can be used on any wooden surface.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice appreciated on first tiling attempt in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks