Discuss Advice after lifting vinyl floor tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

C

ckerr

Hi first post, bought some tiles to go down in the kitchen, when i have removed the laminate floor i have found vinyl floor tiles from the 60'S i have lifted these but am unsure what to do next before laying the tiles. Can anyone help? Many Thanks

T

tfs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what condition is the surface in now?

too late now, but those tiles may have contained asbestos!

T

tfs

if the sub floor is concrete etc and in good condition little or no residue then you may be able to prime and smooth with an slc prior to tiling.

more info on the substrate and surface condition will enable us to give more solid advice.:thumbsup:

C

ckerr

Its a concrete floor which looks to have been self levelled and vinyl tiles glued on top. The glue has dried out and turned almost powdery. Im thinking of getting loose glue off and self levelling, any advice appreciated. Thanks

whitebeam

whitebeam

Arms
Reactions
2,787 3
I would make sure all the loose is removed, wear a mask while cleaning the floor......

I would prime the floor first with sbr 3-1 first before slc

T

tfs

as whitebeam says, try and remove all the old adhesive with some form of abrasive. Once this is done you can prime the floor to seal it and then apply a self leveller, fix with adhesive required for you tile choice e.g. if ceramic you can get away with basic adhesive or if porcelain/ stone I would go for s1 adhesive, keraflex, keraquick, mapeker etc.

you can hire a planer if budget permits or stone block to try and remove some of the adhesive. You may also try a decent wire brush.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice after lifting vinyl floor tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.