Discuss Adhesive for 9mm ceramic tiles? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
i've always used BAL adhesives in a tub for any tiling i've done in the past.
apart from some large format porcelain floor tiles, which i used a fast setting cementious flexible adhesive.
but most places i look now have only mapei...

what adhesive would you recommend for 600 x 300 x 9mm ceramic tiles for walls and floor?
as they seem a bit hefty for a tub adhesive,
i'd prefer something that had a longer open time for a cementious adhesive as i'm not that fast a worker anymore lol! :)

Reaction score
thanks,
the P9 looks good and not a bad price,
i've just kind of got used to trusting/using bal adhesive in the past.
so was thinking maybe the bal single part flexible?

is the P9 suitable for wooden flooring/over floor boards,
though i'd be laying a 6mm backer board down first. or just plastered walls/concrete floors?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
thanks,
the P9 looks good and not a bad price,
i've just kind of got used to trusting/using bal adhesive in the past.
so was thinking maybe the bal single part flexible?

is the P9 suitable for wooden flooring/over floor boards,
though i'd be laying a 6mm backer board down first. or just plastered walls/concrete floors?
P9 isn’t suitable for timber. You need a flexible adhesive, Bal SPF will suffice.

Reaction score
Cheers,
is there any reason i should choose white or grey SPF for walls/ floor,
as the tiles are all light grey i was going to use grey on both?

Reaction score
Thanks again,
white adhesive it is then.
going to get some from CTD next week.

i picked the tiles up yesterday, and out of curiosity weighed a couple of them,
they are around 2.61kg each so kg/m2 is coming in at 14.58kg
and am thinking about using a 3mm spacer to give some play as they are not the most expensive tiles so will probably vary a bit...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks again,
white adhesive it is then.
going to get some from CTD next week.

i picked the tiles up yesterday, and out of curiosity weighed a couple of them,
they are around 2.61kg each so kg/m2 is coming in at 14.58kg
and am thinking about using a 3mm spacer to give some play as they are not the most expensive tiles so will probably vary a bit...
Go 2mm. Better looking grout joint. 👍
Let us know how you get on , any questions pop back.

Reaction score
Would the Mapei P9 be suitable for tiling 6.5mm bevelled metro tiles into a shower enclosure? The corner being tiled has been lined with Abacus Elements tile backer boards so that's the substrate being tiled onto. As a novice tiler, I'll need a standard set adhesive as I'll be working very slowly.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Would the Mapei P9 be suitable for tiling 6.5mm bevelled metro tiles into a shower enclosure? The corner being tiled has been lined with Abacus Elements tile backer boards so that's the substrate being tiled onto. As a novice tiler, I'll need a standard set adhesive as I'll be working very slowly.
Yes 👍

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I really appreciate the reply. Any further tips I should be aware of with this kind of tile? I'm particularly concerned about the open cut edges. They'll be laid in brick bond and I'll tile right up to the ceiling with the shower enclosure to a projection along the 2 shower corner walls of about 850mm from the shower corner. The rest of the walls will be half tiled. So that will leave open edges on the 2 x 850mm projection parts if that makes sense. Should I lay it out such that the tiles which form the edges that run into the shower corner itself, and those at the other end of the projection are ALWAYS cut, so that they have a uniform thickness at those edges? Then use an 8mm tile trim to finish it off? I'm just concerned that if I don't do something of this kind, the edges will finish with alternate full thickness cut tile ends, and bevel edged tile ends which will be different thicknesses and will look odd when a trim is added to that scenario. Hope this makes sense and I guess the same question applies which tiling these into ANY corner. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Plz do. Oh and we love pics 😁
Well I finally plucked up the courage to complete the tiling and even if I say it myself, I think I did ok. Now only have the grouting to do. Is there a recommended white grout to use in a shower area alongside the Mapei P9 adhesive I've used? I was looking at BAL Micromax 2 which seems to be a general multi use grout. Or is there something more water resistant? Will post a picture once I've completed the grouting and the floor tiles :)

Reply to Adhesive for 9mm ceramic tiles? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks