Discuss Adhesive advice for DIY porch tiling with ceramic tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bezz

TF
Reaction score
I'm looking at laying some large ceramic tiles, on top of Arditex NA SLC in my front porch.
There seems to be a whole raft of stuff out there such as pre mixed, rapid set etc and I'm not sure what's best for my specific application. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use anything ready mixed.

Cement-based is the way to go. Rapid setting might set too quickly for you. So the slow setting one.
  1. How many tiles are there?
  2. How big is the area that needs tiling?
  3. Can you enter the property another way while they're setting?
  4. How long has the self levelling compound been down?
  5. What's under the compound?
NB I'm not a tiler, but if I ask some questions it might help the tilers when they reply for you. 🤯🤓😇
[automerge]1568637203[/automerge]
@Mapei UK Marketing @Nicobond @Python Adhesives

Not sure if you guys can spec this or get somebody to spec it? Or something. 😇

Bezz

TF
Reaction score
It's only a small area 2m x 1m. Approx 14 tiles, and drying time not an issue as can enter via back door. SLC been down for a day, and laid over old tiles.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't suppose you know what the old tiles are fixed to? Are they old quarries? Because some of those used to be laid in a cement mix which will be nearing its age of deterioration..... I think?

Is it Concrete is 75 years
Cement 50
Plaster 25

Or something.

(The lads will correct me)

If you're good to go with them yourself though, a cement-based adhesive it the way to go. Tubbed is for wall tiles only really, and only small wall tiles too. It sets by water evaporating from it, and you wont get that happen on a floor with a large tile. The edges of the tile will have set adhesive, and the centre of it will still be 'wet', and that causes shrinkage and the tiles will debond, fairly quickly too when in a high traffic area.

Cement cures by chemical reaction (when water is added) and it doesn't really matter how big the tile is providing you follow the instructions on the bag and mix the quantity right.

For small areas, for the cost of the bag of adhesive, it might be worth mixing the whole bag rather than trying to work out what a quarter of a bag would need water-wise. Kinda thing.

Again, wait for the lads to reply. I'd hate for you to go off my advice alone and me be wrong. As has happened quite a bit! (Me being wrong - thankfully I've been corrected quickly so I'm sure nobody used said wrong advice!! haha)

Reply to Adhesive advice for DIY porch tiling with ceramic tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks