• Thread starter CJ CERAMICS
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 4K
  • usa

Discuss accused of over-kill...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

CJ CERAMICS

today i have been working on a bathroom with a plumber that the customers have employed. while preparing the floor ready for tiling the plumber stood in the doorway watching my every move. upon completion of the said prep the plumber asked why i had done what i had done????.
Sorry i said what do you mean? well all of what you have done is a bit overkill isnt it.

Now this floor is a tongue and groove wooden floor which has been nailed to the joists..so i screwed down the floorboards to reduce the movement and ensured that the nail heads were below the wood. i then layed the pre-cut and sealed 18mm mpb and proceded to pilot hole at 100mm intervals...once this was completed i then counter sunk all holes to ensure that no screw heads were protruding...and then i screwed the ply down using approx 400 screws.

there is no way i would have done it like that he said.....i would have only used about 100 screws and i would have hammered any heads that were above level.

this is the way that i always prep floors...am i guilty of over kill or do you guys do roughly the same.

chris

P

PJ Tiling

Sounds like a professional job to me!:thumbsup:

Trouble with other trades these days is they are always keen to cut corners in search of the quick buck. :builder2:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Chris this is why you are a tradesman, you care. Short cuts are for idiots:thumbsup:

T

Four posts, all done at the same time, all say the same thing, quality:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

this is part of the problem i am finding cj. i want to do things the right way because its my name on the tiles if things go wrong. then you get people whining because they have already spent £500 on the tiles and they dont want to pay any more than they have to for the tiling or the correct prep work....its really soul destroying and part of me thinks why do i bother but then, i remember what an old plasterer told me who was outstanding, ' do it the proper way lad, 'do you wanna be one of the best, or one of the rest??? dont let these idots take away your pride in you work...one day, just one day, customers might realise that doing things the correct way, actually saves them money in the long term!!!!

keep doin it the right way cj :thumbsup:

S

Scott

Total overkill................

Gotcha! :lol::lol::lol:

Only joking, dont be bothered by what others think, its your name on the job!

T

Time's Ran Out

Plywood - are you using plywood. What happened to waterproof building paper/chicken wire/sand & cement? I don't know you young uns have it easy 400screws!:smilewinkgrin:

R

redmist6

He might have been worrying whether he'd tightened all the speedfit elbow and straight connectors up....!....Good arrows mate!:thumbsup:

T

Plywood - are you using plywood. What happened to waterproof building paper/chicken wire/sand & cement? I don't know you young uns have it easy 400screws!:smilewinkgrin:

Building paper, chicken wire/ expanded metal, sand and cement. Those were the days John, us old uns have to be bloody chemists now, hey ho.:mad2:

Reply to accused of over-kill...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks