Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
For anyone thinking of doing a course with able skills.....

if you are thinking about doing the six week ica course with able skills which i did, think very carefully and consider doing the six weeks of practical and gaining the ica at a later date.

with the ica there is alot of paper work to cram into 6 weeks ie:- alot of time spent in the classroom.

Plus you also have to cover modules which involve

plastering

rendering

screeding

how to build a tower scaffold ????? lol

heath and safety

and probably a few more which i cant remember lol. like i said this cuts down the amount of practical you do in 6 weeks.

Also there is alot of late nights doing modules that have to be comleted within a certain time period.

Like i said if your wanting to learn more tile then the 6 week course maybe better 4 you.

Right able skills its self is very well run but i must say make sure if you dont know something that you keep asking until your happy and know what your doing, as i felt we were left pretty much to do what we liked.

having said that the staff are friendly but if you have to stay in there digs they are a bit grotty but u only pay £20 a night so cant expect the ritz.

i hope this helps anyone out that might be thinking of doing a course

matt

OP
P

peter franks

What a great week on natural stone tile course this week. I worked in a fully fitted kitchen area and installed 100 x 100 mm tumbled marble onto the wall areas followed by 300 x 300mm uncalibrated slate on the floor area. First we undertook a really informative class on adhesives and grout selections for these materials and received demonstration on how to correctly fix and cut the marble and slate. Fixing took a lot longer than it did with the previous weeks training but have to say that I am really pleased with the end result. Never had a clue four weeks ago about selections of adhesives, grouts sealers etc.

Had a really good class session with the Rubi tools UK rep Darren (see photos) who spent a few hours with our group letting us sample various Rubi tools. Roll on
Monday.

able1.jpg able2.jpg able3.jpg able4.jpg able5.jpg able6.jpg

OP
P

peter franks

Hi all. Just finished week 5. Wow busy or what. Had a bad start to the week as I was sick Monday and Tuesday but fortunately I was able to complete my course from Wednesday right through to Sunday. I covered a lot of surface preparation this week, fixed aqua panel cement backer boards and then tiled using single part flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and also fixed plasterboards and tanked out using WP1 then tiled the tanked out area once dry. During the drying off period, I tiled a box which required a 3 way mitre and then tiled an arch which enabled me to tackle some challenging cuts which were really difficult. Also did some prep on floors laying self levelling compounds and had a go at screeding. Mark from BAL came in to do a class demo on their products which was excellent .Going straight through till Friday now so training 10 days in a row!!

able1.jpg able2.jpg able3.jpg able4.jpg able5.jpg

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Hi all. Just finished week 5. Wow busy or what. Had a bad start to the week as I was sick Monday and Tuesday but fortunately I was able to complete my course from Wednesday right through to Sunday. I covered a lot of surface preparation this week, fixed aqua panel cement backer boards and then tiled using single part flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and also fixed plasterboards and tanked out using WP1 then tiled the tanked out area once dry. During the drying off period, I tiled a box which required a 3 way mitre and then tiled an arch which enabled me to tackle some challenging cuts which were really difficult. Also did some prep on floors laying self levelling compounds and had a go at screeding. Mark from BAL came in to do a class demo on their products which was excellent .Going straight through till Friday now so training 10 days in a row!!

View attachment 25645 View attachment 25646 View attachment 25647 View attachment 25648 View attachment 25649

Thanks again for the feedback pete. looking forward to week six pics

OP
T

tfs

You guys realy seem to be setting the standard with this course Max.:thumbsup: Some good topics covered.

Your tile seems to be getting good too Peter. Keep at it mate:thumbsup:

OP
P

peter franks

Hi all. I am exhausted lol! Just completed my sixth week tile a fitted bathroom.
I worked to a specification which included preparing, setting out and tile the bathroom. Here are some pics hope you like. I am really happy with it.

able 1.jpg able 2.jpg able 3.jpg able 4.jpg

OP
P

peter franks

You guys realy seem to be setting the standard with this course Max.:thumbsup: Some good topics covered.

Your tile seems to be getting good too Peter. Keep at it mate:thumbsup:

Thanks very much tfs.

Im really happy with the course will keep you all posted.

OP
P

peter franks

Week seven complete and a break from tile training. I moved down to the plastering centre (practically next door to the tile centre) to gain practical skills on wall preparation. Another really enjoyable week this time with Spencer and Jo (the plastering instructors).

Boarded wall area, with angle beads installed
able1.jpg

Attached pier plastered
able2.jpg

My room plastered and starting to dry out
able3.jpg

My practice at rendering
able3.jpg

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Thanks pete, glad to see Spence and Jo looked after you last week they really operate a good course. I can't wait for your post on this week

OP
B

bobby1670dee

well done mate,excellent feedback.I don't think anyone has posted picture for several weeks,usually they post for a week or two and then disappear!
How many more weeks are you doing?

OP
P

peter franks

Final week done. I went back to tile this week, tile a Victorian pathway which was slow but very rewarding. One thing I learned from this week is that you have absolutely no room for error with this stuff. Feel confident that I could take on the pathways but only in the summer lol.

I was registered for my NVQ this week and received my portfolio. Had a discussion with Max about compiling my portfolio and went through some case studies of previously completed portfolios which made the process very straight forward.

I have got some work lined up so hoping to gain the NVQ as soon as possible.

able1.jpg able2.jpg able3.jpg able 4.jpg

OP
P

peter franks

Thanks bob, its been really great at able skills just finished up, learnt so much cant thank them enough.

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Pete thanks for all your feedback and good luck with your NVQ. Keep using the forum for advice and stay in touch via PM. Cheers

OP
P

peter franks

Hi all i have passed my cscs test.
What a joke i had 45 minutes to complete and was in and out in ten minutes.
Not exactly mastermind, still needed to pass it to help me with my nvq.

Reply to Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock