Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
For anyone thinking of doing a course with able skills.....

if you are thinking about doing the six week ica course with able skills which i did, think very carefully and consider doing the six weeks of practical and gaining the ica at a later date.

with the ica there is alot of paper work to cram into 6 weeks ie:- alot of time spent in the classroom.

Plus you also have to cover modules which involve

plastering

rendering

screeding

how to build a tower scaffold ????? lol

heath and safety

and probably a few more which i cant remember lol. like i said this cuts down the amount of practical you do in 6 weeks.

Also there is alot of late nights doing modules that have to be comleted within a certain time period.

Like i said if your wanting to learn more tile then the 6 week course maybe better 4 you.

Right able skills its self is very well run but i must say make sure if you dont know something that you keep asking until your happy and know what your doing, as i felt we were left pretty much to do what we liked.

having said that the staff are friendly but if you have to stay in there digs they are a bit grotty but u only pay £20 a night so cant expect the ritz.

i hope this helps anyone out that might be thinking of doing a course

matt

OP
C

Ceramico tiling

My first introduction to tradework was made possible by able skills.Started with their weekend tile course.It was the only way I could learn and work at the same time.Over the last three years I have done all their 6/7 wk courses except electrics.You will never learn a trade in 6 wks but it gives you the first step.And all their instructors are absolutely top class.Max and Terry are cool dudes.

OP
A

adamchip

For anyone thinking on booking up a tile course with ableskills at the moment i would consider it carefully.I have just cut short my second week with them in pure disgust of how they can leave 1 instructor with 16 pupils all at different levels.I was struggling how to make cuts in a corner with diamond pattern,the instructor shouted over that i was doing it wrong,came over to the bay for a closer look & a tut & then walked away saying i would have to do it again.Why couldnt he have shown me & helped me out.Theres quite a few guys who i have met at different stages who are not happy with a particular instructors attitude to training.
Anyways im now booked up with diamond training & im looking forward to starting with them as i don"t want to give up on tile.

I have just finished the 8 week tile course at able skills dartford and cannot praise them highly enough. I understand that not every1 agrees but struggle to know why you meet lots of people during the 8 week course at all levels and havnt found a single unhappy customer. Max and terry were extremeley helpful and always found time you only had to ask.
Thanks guys
Adam

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Re: Able Skills - Second to None

Cheers steve, how is the victorian tile going?

Reaction score
Hi Max, the Victorian tile went so well that we are back with the same customer this week tile a bathroom and downstairs cloakroom floor and walls with Travertine. We are still doing really well but have had to discipline ourselves not to work 7 days a week. How brilliant is that. We have a massive job coming up 70 sq mts 600 x 600 porcelain black gloss. We have to self level it first and have found Mapei Trade Plan really good. Just about to look on the forum for some advice on levelling an area that big, as it needs to be really, really flat. Thanks for all the brilliant training Max. It was about this time last year that I was made redundant. How quickly the year has gone!

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Thanks steve always willing to give advise, keep in touch.

Seeing as you are so busy why not collect photographic evidence to help you complete your NVQ portfolio.

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Thanks for the PM Tommy_S, Glad to hear you are doing well. Pop in when you can and we will discuss the victorian course. cheers mate

OP
P

peter franks

Hello again everyone. I am Peter and I started my tile course with Able Skills on Monday. I am doing the NVQ 8 week tile option which will give me intensive training for 8 weeks before progressing onto my NVQ once I am at work. I have put in a lot of effort and research into selecting my training provider. I have been looking around since before Christmas but booked my course early in the New Year. Earliest start date was 14th of February for a solid 8 weeks. I hope to keep you all updated with my progress and will try to post some pictures of work achieved. Thanks

Wall areas fixed, grouted, silicone sealant applied
GetInline.aspx

Floor installed prior to grouting

GetInline.aspx

GetInline.aspx

tile around window opening, trim mitred and fixed, angles cut to ceiling

Using mixer
GetInline.aspx

Cutting around toilet
GetInline.aspx

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Thanks for the feedback pete. Glad you enjoyed week one. Like your photos but whats with taking one of our mixer lol

OP
P

peter franks

Great again this week, really stepped up the intensity. Quite difficult at first with the 45 degree tile going around the corner but got there in the end. Also really interesting tutor led class on uncoupling membraines and underfloor heating. I have got stacks of handout info, loads of bed time reading lol.My complete bathroom bay, bigger ceramic wall tiles this week with borders and porcelain floor tile able2.jpg able2.jpg porcelain floor at 45 degrees (before grout) able 3.jpg

Attachments

• able1.jpg
    able1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 186
OP
P

peter franks

Hi all. I can’t believe that three weeks have past already. Monday received week three tile handout and then proceeded with 6218-119 city and guilds practical assessment. Also practical on how to cleanly remove old fixed tiles with the tile grout rake but what was much more fun was using the fein multimaster (what a tool I must have one, think I will order from tradetiler this weekend) Also install in brick effect this week was interesting although setting out took a little while and then drilling tiles to allow capped pipe to go through.

able1.jpg able2.gif able4.jpg able3.jpg able5.jpg
pencil.png

OP
T

Tiling 1352

Re: able skills tile course feed back,

That is great info thanks as I have been looking at achange in career for some time and after tile my bathroom knew it was what I wanted.
They seemed the most feasible centre.
Again thanks so much

OP
B

brad@dtc

Really surprised to read the negative feedback on the ABLE tile course. There are a number of trainees at different levels some are quite advanced and need little supervision others need a lot more guidance. I attended the three week course and got a lot out of it.

Having discussed this and other courses with a number of other people I have nothing but praise for the quality of training at ABLE.

Reply to Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock