Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
For anyone thinking of doing a course with able skills.....

if you are thinking about doing the six week ica course with able skills which i did, think very carefully and consider doing the six weeks of practical and gaining the ica at a later date.

with the ica there is alot of paper work to cram into 6 weeks ie:- alot of time spent in the classroom.

Plus you also have to cover modules which involve

plastering

rendering

screeding

how to build a tower scaffold ????? lol

heath and safety

and probably a few more which i cant remember lol. like i said this cuts down the amount of practical you do in 6 weeks.

Also there is alot of late nights doing modules that have to be comleted within a certain time period.

Like i said if your wanting to learn more tile then the 6 week course maybe better 4 you.

Right able skills its self is very well run but i must say make sure if you dont know something that you keep asking until your happy and know what your doing, as i felt we were left pretty much to do what we liked.

having said that the staff are friendly but if you have to stay in there digs they are a bit grotty but u only pay £20 a night so cant expect the ritz.

i hope this helps anyone out that might be thinking of doing a course

matt

OP
B

bobsn

I just finished my 3th week and passed my city and guilds. As i am not native english speaker i found the instructors and other staff friendly and trying to explain thinks properly to me. Learned a lot so far and can recommend to everyone who wants to try something new in them lifes

OP
M

Max@ableskills

I just finished my 3th week and passed my city and guilds. As i am not native english speaker i found the instructors and other staff friendly and trying to explain thinks properly to me. Learned a lot so far and can recommend to everyone who wants to try something new in them lifes

Cheers bob and welcome to the forum. Don't forget to post pics of your work. Everyone loves pics.

OP
M

Max@ableskills

Trainee Praises Able Skills tile Courses

DSC_0140.JPG

Able Skills are delighted to publish a review of our
tiling courses from our former trainee Barry Perrott.

Mr Perrott said: “In 2007 I took redundancy from a printing company and decided to go travelling to Australia.

After spending a year in Australia on a working/tourist visa I returned to the UK but I had already decided that I wanted to work and live in Australia permanently and set about exploring the various options available to me.
Back in the UK, (October 2008) I enrolled onto a six week tile course at Able Skills Dartford with the intention of becoming a wall and floor tiler.
After intensive training I completed my tile course, set up my business and immediately got to work.
For the next 8 months I undertook lots of work including a huge contract for Guinness Trust which included 147 bathroom units at a development in London Bridge.
At this time I gained another visa to enable me to work in Australia and went back there in May 2009.
When I arrived in Australia I immediately found work for a tile contractor in Brisbane, mainly installing tiles to new build properties.
Most of this work was floor tile which involved a lot of screeding and bathroom installs which were nearly always wet rooms.
Having now returned for the second time to the UK and continuing with my UK tile business I am now going to gain my NVQ in wall and floor tile which will enable me to live and work in Australia permanently.
I have been speaking to Max at Able Skills as he will be my assessor and he has given me plenty of guidance.
I am in a fortunate position that I have now built up lots of contacts in Australia so finding work when I return won’t be a problem.
I would like to thank all of the staff of Able Skills, particularly my tile course instructors Max and Terry, for enabling me to achieve my goal.
I would recommend Able Skills tiling courses to anyone who is looking to go into the tile industry – good comprehensive tile training covering a range of different tile scenarios and a really friendly atmosphere.”

OP
G

Gareth Raines

you think you can learn tile in 8 weeks your having a laugh, sorry but that fact you cant even learn the basics!

OP
P

prceramics

you think you can learn tile in 8 weeks your having a laugh, sorry but that fact you cant even learn the basics!
i done this coarse it is very good it is a good preperation into the world of tile i have learnt a lot more after the course and still have a long way to go but its a good start and a good set up with first class instruction.

OP
P

prceramics

think the diference is mate i know i have a lot to learn and i would never take on a job i would not be 100% sure i could do

OP
D

DHTiling

Gareth.. as a new member please try to word your posts so that they do come across as if you are attacking this said course provider..

Yes, peeps will only learn so much from a course and i think they can learn the basics of what tile is and the rest comes with time and practice , you can't say everyone who does a course is crap... so of our top tilers on here have made a good business and turn out awesome work have started from a short course..

IMO a course aimed at diy etc is just that and if someone wants to learn a trade from one then they progress further after the course by trying to work for someone, but that is also not always available to them, so they do bathroom for friends and family and try to learn from that.. but only time and patience and neatness will help them..

Just my take on it anyway.. :)

OP
M

Max@ableskills

i done this coarse it is very good it is a good preperation into the world of tile i have learnt a lot more after the course and still have a long way to go but its a good start and a good set up with first class instruction.

Cheers Paul and many thanks for the feedback

Hope things are going ok.

C.O.Y.G lol

OP
R

Ralph B

Recently spent 6 weeks with Max & Terry at Able Skills on their tile course. Great full on course with great instructors. As a more senior trainee I consider that I learn't alot of the basics that have given me the confidence to persue a new career in tile.

OP
M

MidniteJ

Re: Able Skills - Second to None

Hi, I have recently been made redundant and am close to signing up to do the 8 week course. I've wanted to be a tiler for about 4 years now but have been worried about what I could earn once completing the course.
Would u suggest working for a company or going self employed after completion of the course? I would be massively grateful for any feedback on this, thanks Jon.

OP
P

prceramics

was in the same boat mate got made redundant last august done the 8 weeks at able then went self employed, found it a challange but have loved every minute of it work is quite hard to come by but kept ticking over, if you can get in to a company that would be great experence because even though the coarse is great you will learn more after in your first few jobs :)

OP
P

peter franks

Hi all. Wow it's been a long time since I last entered a post. I must try to be a more active user of the forum in future lol.
Anyway just a quick thank you to all the gang at Ableskills as I have just acheived my NVQ level 2 in wall and floor tile.
It has taken me a little over a year to acheive through portfolio building and site visits but my assessor (Max) signed off my portfolio last week.
I am hoping that my prospects of emigrating have improved now as I am looking to emigrate within the next few years and am hoping that with my new qualifications under my belt this should help the process.
Thanks again.

P.S. Good luck in your new job Max

Reply to Able Skills Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock