Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Able skills or UK Pro tiling in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jazzer

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Able skills nvq3 or ultimate course from UK Pro tile? Able skills is 10wks (£3,500) and UK Pro tile is 13 days (£1,400). I live in Scotland, am 33 yrs old, currently work in the emergency services and desperate for a career change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazzer

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

What would you like me to say?
All the happy Tilers go out on a Saturday night so your just left with the old pensioner.
Having a well deserved coffee after being the life and soul of a birthday BBQ for my daughter.
Till now I've never known or been interested in how much it costs to learn at a centre, and how long it would take to be on a course to reach any standard.
Wow - I'am in the wrong job!
Not sure how you attain level 3 NVQ in 10 weeks but I'am always slow on the uptake having spent 44 years at level 2!
Perhaps you should come and board with me and spend some time in the real world of tile.
Both the firms you have mentioned have been around for a good period, so either will be doing something right and it'll be worth discussing the work opportunities on completion with both.
There are threads on the forum from previous trainees to read and I'am sure some professional Tilers will be along in the days to come with advice.
For me this is the best job in the world, but at my age, although I have no mortgage, I'd rather be staying in the Emergency services on a regular wage/holidays and looking forward to a pension. It'll be a least 2 years before your anywhere near the same wage your on now!
There are Tilers here who will tell you the courses are a good basic introduction but it'll be down to your own drive and determination to make a career out of what I considered a hobby.
Good luck with your choices and welcome to the no.1 forum.

OP
J

Jazzer

I'm in my current job over 8 yrs and almost at the top of my pay scale (£1850 a month). Also the pension ain't what it used to be, I pay £400 a month to it over 35 years, a lot to anyone. I also work horrible shifts, get rest cancelled at short notice and am micromanaged beyond belief.

It's for those reasons amongst others than I'm looking for a change. I'm in the fortunate position of my wife earning more than me so i could afford a drop in income in exchange for some job satisfaction and happiness.

Jazzer

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Courses funded Level 3 in Construction (you can apply for Gold Card) - anywhere in the UK
You can find government funding for nvq 3 courses but you need to have some years in this trade.
You can do courses for basic skills,and start from there.

OP
J

Jazzer

From my research I'm swaying towards UK Pro tile. My plan would be to do the course during annual leave from work then try to work around my current job and see how it goes. It's a big step though so have to give it careful thought.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Darren only does tile courses. I think pretty much all other training centres do all trades so it kinda shows you what the score is there alone. Darren does his own training and is passionate about it. Others employ tilers who collect a wage for training etc.

I always say go visit them and see for yourself and speak to trainees.

OP
J

Jazzer

What tools can you buy from UK Pro tile at the end of your course and how much cheaper are they than buying from elsewhere?

I was also considering doing a painting and decorating course at able skills however believe that tile would be the wiser choice due to more opportunities for work plus greater earning potential. Don't get me wrong decorating is good fun however there seems to be a plethora of decorators whereas tilers seem harder to come by.

We just had our bathroom walls tiled last week, approx 25 sqm at a cost of £600. It took the 2 tilers 1 day to complete. We had to wait about 4 wks for a tiler to become available.

I'm just trying to work out how much money I would need to set myself upend whether it is viable as a possible long term career change.

Reply to Able skills or UK Pro tiling in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock