Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Sean Kelly published a new article:

I have written this thread so that it may give an insight of what you may expect your first year to be like as a new tiler:

It’s now a year since leaving my 4 week tile course at ‘ Tradeskills4u’ (see my review in the...

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Edohanion

:yikes: Thanks for the post Sean, very informative. Looking to start up myself soon and while I'm under no illusions about how difficult things are going to be, especially in the current climate, I hope I'm able to stick at it like you have. Good luck for the future and I hope things pick up for you and everybody else on the forum.:yes:

D

doug boardley

having just re-read your thread Sean, I'm doubly impressed! hope 2009 is a belting year for you!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Very interesting read, especially as i'm one of the new boys too... Well done for sticking with it mate, and i hope this year brings better things for you. ;)

lcjohno

TF
Reaction score
That was very interesting reading Sean. I'm starting my tile course next week with the hope of starting my own business and that really brought home how hard its gonna be. Great post, cheers, Lee.

H

heatybob

sorry for the late reply but well done im sure the honesty you have shown in your post will no doubt help you in the future,:thumbsup:

P

pvespasia10

thanks just about to start at able skills on 8 week course,after being made redundant as well, this has inspired me to carry on where there were a few doubts and worries from my family due to paying out on tile course

R

Rob Z

Hi Sean, good post buddy, we all have had jobs that went like your first jobs.

I had one where I waaay underestimated things and then had countless problems, some of which were out of my control and some which I should have anticipated if I hadn't been such a grean bean at the time. We tiled a backsplash and a counter in a rather large kitchen, and by the time I was done and the plumber was paid and my helper was paid, I made less than $5 an hour gross. For comparison, my helper was paid $10 an hour and minimum wage at the time was just a bit over $4 an hour. So much for the glory of being a tile contractor. :mad2:

I look forward to hearing more about how you are doing. It will get easier as you get deeper into the trade.:thumbsup:

B

bootsmckiber

Good job Sean ,hang in there,like anything the more you do it the easier it becomes,you'll get to a point where you can pick and choose your jobs and name your price,I'm in my 26th year and I still get the odd 16-18hr days but when you love what you do the hours just fly by,good luck on a long career,wear a mask when mixing.Cheers.
Mike:thumbsup:

I

inspiredandy

Well done Sean, it is tough out there but stick at it and I am sure things will come good in the end. If you PM me I have a suggestion that will bring in work for you for a little outlay.

Reply to A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock