Discuss 6mm ply and warm-up underfloor heating-best flexi tile adhesive?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

Hayden Goy

Not sure what you think priming will do but if you are happy with the advice of your 5 or 6 tilers then take it. I personally would not tile your floor in the way it has been prepared...you would be knocking on my door in a very short space of time asking me to repair the damage that will be caused by it.

Good luck, which ever way you chose to go. I will be delighted for you if it turns out ok with the prep the way it is.:thumbsup:

is there anything i can put on top thats thin? theres no way of getting the boards up now

H

Hayden Goy

As per Grumpy.

6mm ply will not offer much in the way of strengthening or insulation so seems a very strange choice.
What wattage mat / wire have you laid? You should not apply anything over 100 watts onto ply (fire hazard) which will not provide a massive amount of heat.

Take everyones advice and do the job properly mate.

Good luck.

hi its a dws 800 wire warm-up. its not laid yet

D

davy_G

HG, you have had the advice of 5-6 tilers on here and we would all lift the ply.
No such word as cant...just wont. Get yer kango out, ditch the ply, lay insulation and make a job of it for yourself and the customer.

I know your not liking what we say but you can still sort it out, better than a call back in 6 months to rip it all up!

D

DHTiling

Hi all,

Which is the best Tile adhesive to get?? i've have a concrete floor with a 6mm ply base which ive used evo to stick it down with. I've got warm-up underfloor cable to go onto this and was wondering which is the best tile adhesive or grout to buy??

thats all

Hello and welcome....

6mm ply isn't really suitable for tiling to...it is moisture un-stable and can swell even from the moisture in your adhesive...
But i am also concerned with the way it is stuck down...you would normally screw and plug it and if that glue breaks down then nothing is holding it...and then you are adding a heating element to it, can the glue withstand thermal expansion and contraction..?

You only want to do this job once, so think carefully before you go ahead on that ply...:thumbsup:

H

Hayden Goy

Hello and welcome....

6mm ply isn't really suitable for tiling to...it is moisture un-stable and can swell even from the moisture in your adhesive...
But i am also concerned with the way it is stuck down...you would normally screw and plug it and if that glue breaks down then nothing is holding it...and then you are adding a heating element to it, can the glue withstand thermal expansion and contraction..?

You only want to do this job once, so think carefully before you go ahead on that ply...:thumbsup:

hi chap,

its well stuck down with strong evo adhesive which is like a rubber and is recommend to be used with underfloor heating/tiles and will not come up i'm really sure of that. I'm not a tiler only a diy and i purchased some underfloor heating boards but with the kitchen units having to sit on them i felt that 6mm boards wouldn't take the weight and get damaged. My electrician and tiler said to use 6mm ply. I also are very limited to height and have only 6mm to play with so thats why i got these boards/ply.Is there anything i can put on the top thats cheap and going to do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

Hello and welcome....

There's just no point helping some people...
Get a written guarantee from your tiler and keep your fingers crossed that you won't ever need it!

Stay lucky

H

Hayden Goy

Dave tell him please, before this turns into a disaster for all concerned!

I really thank you all for your comments I will do the job correct but at the same time am limited by budget and i'l not able to get he floor up now it would cost me a bloody fortune. Again if theres anything i can put on the top of the boards that would be great

H

Hayden Goy

There's just no point helping some people...
Get a written guarantee from your tiler and keep your fingers crossed that you won't ever need it!

Stay lucky

nothing to do with not helping people its all about getting the right answers to the right questions.

D

DHTiling

For what good the ply will do for insulation with the ufh then i would just rip it up and tile onto the floor it's self...

Honestly we are not giving you advice to cause you grief, we are here to make sure you have a long lasting installation....Your tiler needs educating as well i think...

Do yourself a big favour and remove the ply...and just tile the floor ...you will probs need to mechanicaly remove the glue but you want the job done right...

The choice is yours really and we wish you good luck....:thumbsup:

H

Hayden Goy

HG, you have had the advice of 5-6 tilers on here and we would all lift the ply.
No such word as cant...just wont. Get yer kango out, ditch the ply, lay insulation and make a job of it for yourself and the customer.

I know your not liking what we say but you can still sort it out, better than a call back in 6 months to rip it all up!

whats the thinest you can get??

Reply to 6mm ply and warm-up underfloor heating-best flexi tile adhesive?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks