Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 6mm insulation boards on concrete under slate floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi just hoping someone far more knowledgeable will have the answer. I've got a concrete floor which is a bit crumbly in places. I plan to stick down 6mm polystyrene insulation boards then underfloor heating and slate tiles. Is this sensible or will I ruin the tiles?

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi just hoping someone far more knowledgeable will have the answer. I've got a concrete floor which is a bit crumbly in places. I plan to stick down 6mm polystyrene insulation boards then underfloor heating and slate tiles. Is this sensible or will I ruin the tiles?

I wouldn't lay anything on a crumbly floor!! Any pics?

OP
C

contactkay

Here's a rough photo, was slightly worried someone might mention to sort the crumbly floor out first. Would the insulation boards not sort that out?

- - - Updated - - -

And the pipework is all gone :)

Attachments

• phone 21st Nov 12 104.jpg
    phone 21st Nov 12 104.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 172
OP
W

White Room

Is some of the areas on the screed hollow or is some of it flaking on the surface....

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here's a rough photo, was slightly worried someone might mention to sort the crumbly floor out first. Would the insulation boards not sort that out?

- - - Updated - - -

And the pipework is all gone :)

Nope!it's all about the prep, it's only as good as the floor your sticking to!! ;)

OP
C

contactkay

Hmmm. There's mainly hollow bits in the screed. Nothing flaky. The vast majority is sound. Just a few bits around edges and doorways.

OP
C

contactkay

Ok thanks everyone. Such a pain because I really needed this floor done by Wednesday:mad2:

OP
B

bugs183

Also is the insulation board the flimsy (often pink) type with no cement bonded to it?? These are very brittle and can compress under time.
If so i'd consider swapping these for a more substantial type of board like Marmox.

Reply to 6mm insulation boards on concrete under slate floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock