Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 600 x 600 Porcelain tiles on a worktop in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
From other posts I've found that 600 x 600 Porcelain tiles are suitable for worktops but which https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and what thickness?

If I diy do I need a longer setting time?

The grout suggested is epoxy but would silicone be suitable?

I propose to edge the front of the worktop with timber, what should I put between the tile and the wood?

T

Time's Ran Out

Not sure which 'other posts' you have read - but be careful which 60x60cm porcelain you choose as some of those supplied by a large DIY store clearly have stated on the packaging NOT suitable for food preparation areas.

OP
S

Shultzy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks timeless john, I've posted about this on this site. I went to Porcelanosa today and they assure me that any pure porcelain tile is food safe.

T

Time's Ran Out

Well that's okay then as long as the salesman has assured you :lol: - I should have gone to Specsavers.

J

jay

Not sure which 'other posts' you have read - but be careful which 60x60cm porcelain you choose as some of those supplied by a large DIY store clearly have stated on the packaging NOT suitable for food preparation areas.

Agree think they need to be glazed

K

kendo1

Threadjack Alert!
Every time I pour a round of drinks, it goes all over the place.

I think I need glasses.

K

kendo1

Why do you want to tile a kitchen work surface?
There are other more suitable materials.

OP
S

Shultzy

TF
Reaction score
Other options such as granite, eco, or corian are too expensive and are highly susceptible to damage and staining. Wood, although not that expensive is high maintenance. Formica is the only other candidate.

K

kendo1

When you consider hygiene, a continuous surface is best.
Granted you're thinking about epoxy grout, any other is not worth thinking about.

I don't think of wood as a high maintenance surface. It's not as if you are constantly oiling it, just every now and then.
You have to keep it clean, but you have to do that with any surface.

You say in your original post that you were considering edging in timber. The join is going to be where germs will breed.
Maybe it's a personal thing, I do not like tiled work surfaces.
It's your kitchen though. :)

Reply to 600 x 600 Porcelain tiles on a worktop in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock